Pictures of the HMS GORGON

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by simm37, Feb 11, 2009.

1. simm37

simm37 New Member

Hi some one had pictures of the HMS GORGON some where on the site does anyone know where they are Thanks

2. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

They are probably in Bob Pottle's user folder.

Until the file manager is back online, the only way to view them is by posting them. Create a new post, press image, then navigate to Bob Pottle's user directory... choose the gorgon's photos, and press OK (a couple times). Repeat for all gorgon photos.

The photo forum was lost during the migration to the new site (sorry)... So I'd re-post them in the photos section. Bob won't mind @ all.

3. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

I've had the flu and a splitting headache for a week so haven't felt like navigating the steps to post the HMS Gorgon photos. Hopefully it'll happen this weekend, but if someone else is able to access and post the photos now please do so!
    Bob

4. Bob Pottle

I forgot to mention that if interior photos of HMS Gorgon are needed - and they'll be very helpful to anyone building this very small ship - I'll post some when I figure out how or when File Manager is back up.
    Bob

5. JustinScott

This ship?
    [​IMG]

6. Bob Pottle

No Justin, that's the light cruiser HMCS Uganda I rebuilt for Stephen Hill.
    HMS Gorgon is very distinctive: short, deep hull with wide anti-torpedo bulges, tall thin single stack, single 9.2" turrets fore and aft (the aft one with the BB cannon), 4 x 6" turrets (one on each beam at deck level, the others fore and aft on the level 01 superstructure), a tall bridge, taller and very narrow tripod with detailed spotting top aft of the funnel.
    I think there were 4-6 Gorgon photos in the defunct 'Photos' section.
    Bob

7. JustinScott

You're going to have to read my 'how to post photos" thread and find them yourself. They are where you put them in the old filemanager... I just don't know which ship you are looking for.

8. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This one?

9. simm37

simm37 New Member

Thank you

10. JustinScott

Yeah Nick!

Thanks!

11. Windrider0275

Windrider0275 Member

The Gorgon was a fun ship to build and run for fast guns. I built it from the same kit and fitted her out the exact same way. When I have some time, I am gonna' convert her to big guns. I am not too sure yet what the rules say I can have in her though. Should be a great conversion.

Ciao

12. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Thanks for the Fix Justin !

:):D

13. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

That was a fun little ship. Great handling.

14. Bob Pottle

Thanks for finding and posting the HMS Gorgon pics Nick. Gorgon is the best handling model I've built, with a turning circle about 4' in diameter. The intial turn when the rudder is put hard over is much sharper - great for stern gun shots!
    I don't think many have been built but hey're great fun to operate. I think I sold 3 kits, and Tugboat might have sold some since buying my moulds in 2008. Strike Models owns the moulds now (2013 edit). Sistership HMS Glatton is being built by NATCF member Jason Clark. He borrowed mine to copy the equipment installation. The level 01 and 02 superstructure is fiberglass.
    Bob

15. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

4' turning circle? Really? wow. Good job, now, is that about the same for Roberts? Now that is a good looking ship.

16. Bob Pottle

That's right Boomer, the twin ruddered WWII monitors HMS Roberts and Abercrombie also have a turning circle of about 4' diameter. Strike Models has the mould for them.
    Bob

17. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Good looking ship, how does it even get a below-the-waterline hit?

18. phill

phill Active Member

I built the HMS Roberts from Bob's hull. Had to get the Gorgon kit but she hasn't been started. No time, then I had time and no money. Now I'm back to having money but no time... Sigh.
    The Roberts is being refit this winter. My younger son will turn 6 in a couple of months so will take command of her when the weather gets better. It is set up perfectly for a youngster. When too badly holed, it shinks except for the forward two inches of the bow. This makes for general amusement and an easy retreive for dad. This is the same ship that we spent over 45 minutes looking for in very cold water.
    Thanks Bob. These ships have been a blast!

19. Bob Pottle

Boomer,
    The Gorgon is as deep as most cruisers so there's plenty of target area below the waterline. With a skilled driver it's hard to hit anywhere because of its exceptional maneuverability.
    The 15" gunned WWI and WWII British monitors have comparatively little target area below the waterline because they have an exceptionally wide beam and very shallow draft. Erebus and Terror (WWI) drew 12' (1" in 1/144) and the WWII Roberts and Abercrombie drew 12'-15'. The WWII monitors are twin ruddered and turn as well as the Gorgon so they're hard to hit. The single ruddered Erebus and Terror are easier targets - I no longer make those hulls.
    Bob