Plan project(I-400)

Discussion in 'Ship Plans' started by ish311, Jan 27, 2015.

?

Interested in helping?

1. yes

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ish311

ish311 Active Member

I am currently building a set of I-400 plans in sketchup and plan on producing a 3d model for it as well to test how it looks in 1/96.
    I am looking for some more eyes to look at the plans and model but I do not want to just dump the plans here on the site, as i have zero idea of the legality of such.
    Anything i share will not have any of my source material on it and will be personally drawn by myself but still uncertain.
    If i can get about 5 people (i don't really want that many eyes on the plans yet) to help point out what is wrong with it and help fix issues and i figure out what is legal (or not) i plan to share the plans for free on this site (if I can) if not i will at least have a decent 3d model of an I-400 to play with.

I will do status updates for everyone here until I am done however.

Current status is working on creating rib gradations and finishing side view rough sketch as well. currently about .12 out of scale but not terribly unhappy with that.
    should have the aft section done tommorow. might not have the skin on but you will be able to see roughly the shap of the hull as i have 78 points of gradiation over 18" real space sofar spacing of .235 each. far more than allowed for building but might be low for producing a good 3d model.

no progress as i tried running a script to skin the model and it just imploded killing most of my previous work

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  2. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

In my not-a-lawyer and not-as-the-admin opinion a derivative work that has been so thoroughly transformed by conversion into a 3d model is a non issue. I would not post direct scans of the original source material though unless its public domain.

3. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Anything you created is fine. small excerpts of originals for comment/criticism purposes are fine. significant reproduction is not, generally.

4. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

I have plans of the I-400 from different sources that I can compare against yours, including a copy of the now rare Hasegawa plans. I also have several books with original photos (most are in Japanese) that I can use as references, too. So I'd be happy to help review your plans.

Send me a PM if interested.

5. PrepmasterNick

PrepmasterNick Active Member

I'd like to help but don't know how to help legally, I don't know anything about the exact dimension of the I400 either but I'd love to help figure all that out.

6. ish311

ish311 Active Member

well until my sketchup lets go of my plans (very slow script running need to use other comp) i'm stuck but i do have a set of 1/700 plans for the I-400 now that i can use for reference as well.

it should release them sometime tomorrow... or i'm just killing the script and trying something else .

7. ish311

ish311 Active Member

sigh... sketchup ate the plans it will be a few months now before i get the time to layout the hull again.

8. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

You didn't save as you went along?

9. ish311

ish311 Active Member

only had the auto and the manual. if i can find the incrementals i made i might have about half the boat. but one of the incrementals has the wrong hull lines.

10. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I would draw it in Delftship and then import the model into Sketchup.

11. wfirebaugh

wfirebaugh Well-Known Member

I was looking for a free set of plans of the I-400, I wanted to build one at a later date but designing a set of ship plans would be the fun part in my opinion if you have line drawings of the shape of the hull, I could work with that. All I could fins wear pictures, you know how hard it is to work from pictures alone :( not fun at all. And a general set of plans are working so far I'm having to do allot of gess work tho so far but all I have done so far is take the PDF and put each drawing in to photoshop to make one big picture of every drawing so when I inject it in to delftship I just have to use one picture not many one off's that I have to resize every time I change Pics. Im curlentley working on a Fletcher destroyer design.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  12. ish311

ish311 Active Member

i found some really rough line drawings and a bunch of pictures. had all the hull lines done and then sketchup ate them.

13. wfirebaugh

wfirebaugh Well-Known Member

have all ways 2 copys one before your session and a second when you get done on seperat hard drives or use a thumb drive have it on the thumb drive load it on the computer when you get done copy it back over the original data so just incase you have a software or a hardware failure you are still good to go.

14. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

ive learnt thats what gdrive is for :)