Planning WAY ahead... JULY 2013

Discussion in 'Age of Sail' started by Tugboat, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

As my fast gun battleship nears battle-readiness... I am thinking on getting Minerva done. The H&H ranch where the MWC Nats will be in 2013 should be a nice windy spot, and I am inviting everyone who is going to those Nats to a Wednesday Age of Sail battle! :cool:

2. Tugboat

More thoughts... anyone decided for sure which fast-gun Nats they're going to? They're both the same week. I'd like to try to do a demo battle at one of the two Natses. And anyone who's been to Camp Conron, is the lake in the open, or has it got trees around it?

3. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

I'm heading to the MWC Nats in Houston.

I have no doubt that the Le Requin will be battle ready by July 2013. :)

4. jch72

jch72 Active Member

Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
    I plan to go to Conron, should be significantly cheaper staying on site.
    Conron has trees, but they are back from the lake a bit. Probably no good for wind for sailboats. The club rents a big tent for the event and I don't remember it blowing too much during an intense thunderstorm.
    The good points are : It is so far in the boonies and with people staying on site overnight everyone can leave their tools and ships under the tent lakeside for the whole week, which eliminates the daily loading and unloading. Steve cooks an Excellent Breakfast on site every day with BACON! Also more Canadians show up with pretty targets. Much like a camping trip, when you stay on site. Weather was really nice last time.
    Bad points are: some deep spots, I really recommend a recovery float. Some places where the shore is overgrown. Makes campaign different, when you can't see the other base too well. Fog of war. Did I mention it is in the boonies? There is no cell phone service in the area. Get maybe a quarter bar and no data.
    Ron Hunt

5. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Oh my, this is interesting. No idea if I'll actually be available then but... I have a clipper ship wooden hull in 1:144 scale. I wonder if they'd let me run it as a transport? It's about 16" x 2" x 2".

If I'm on Grad Hold long enough, I'll start on a USS Constitution. But I've got an Invincible and a Scharnhorst to complete first... hmmm....

6. Tugboat

At Nats, it's gotta be strictly by the rules, which means motors, and you can't use the sails because they could make the ship illegally fast for a convoy. But I have a convoy ship for you, and if you actually get free from duty that week, I can arrange for Lil Scharnie to be ready for you to run.