Plans for a Colorado Class battleship

Discussion in 'Ship Plans' started by bikefish, Feb 9, 2011.

1. bikefish

bikefish Member

So I am thinking about building a example of a Colorado and I have these plans for the hull (http://www.hnsa.org/doc/plans/bb45.pdf) Would these plans work or do I need to look for another souce? If someone has some that the know work, is there any way that I could get them from you?

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Those plans on the pdf provide all the info you would need to build the hull, no problem. I think I have a file at home on the hard drive with a plan and profile view that would help build the superstructure.

3. bikefish

bikefish Member

If I could get those from you, I would me most appreciative. The other plans that I have access to are these (http://www.hnsa.org/doc/plans/bb48.pdf) and Im not sure how well they would work.
    EDIT: Also,the ribs as drawn on the plans in the first post, would I need to mess with the spacing to get it legal, or is copying the plans verbatum the "correct" way?

4. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Go with Tug's plans. Or you could use the West Virginia plans that are on that site. You will need to rescale the plans from the site. Tug's may be 144 already.

5. bikefish

bikefish Member

Im going to bow in the presence of those who have way more experience then me. Any other tips?
    Tug, how would I go about getting the plans from you? are they hull plans as well?

6. Tugboat

I'll scour the hard drive when I get home and I'll happily send you what I have.

To answer your question on ribs, I look at where they lie along the length of the ship, and at how many ribs I'm allowed. If they match up, I go with the ribs as drawn. If the drawing has a few too many, I make a few ribs 1/8" vice 1/4" thick so I don't go 'over' on solid area. If the ribs as drawn don't have 'enough', I build the hull as drawn and add a few, faired in to the shape of the existing ribs.

From that second pdf, you want to print out pages 3, 5, 6, and 7. That'll give you the decks, the superstructure shape, and page 5 gives you top views of the platforms, which lets you assemble things nicely and it'll look good.

7. bikefish

bikefish Member

Tug, can you send the plans through here or do you need my email?

8. Tugboat

Send me a pm with your email. It also could be that the plans are too big to email; it's happened before and if necessary, I'll set up a clickable link for you to use to download the plans.