plywood choice

Discussion in 'Construction' started by jimmybeekeeper, Aug 10, 2014.

1. jimmybeekeeper

jimmybeekeeper Active Member

ok plans are on the way now i need plywood and i realized there are several kinds available what type is suggested for rib and decks
    i know the thickness just not sure if lite ply baltic birch so on so on also i was in lowes the other day and looked at underlayment the stuff with the x s on it seems to be void free 3 layer anyone ever try that?
    on a second note im going to do the balsa fill method is there a thickness recomended for that seems like i read quarter inch on someones build

2. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

I prefer using the aircraft ply (5-7 ply) from my local hobby store. Its not cheap, but it is miles ahead far stronger than the low quality wood you get from Lowes or Home Depot. That being said, you can build a ship from the underlayment you get at Lowes, however be very careful to pick out a piece that is as unwarped as possible and be careful when handling/cutting pieces cut out from it as the underlayment is weak and will break easily.

I know Tugboat has said he has had good results with the plywood from Rockler http://www.rockler.com/wood/plywood so that may be another option for you.

3. jimmybeekeeper

jimmybeekeeper Active Member

thx for the reply i looked ar rocklers and was about to buy but i wanted to be sure the baltic birch they sell wasnt going to comw apart frm moister or something same worry with the lowe stuff that was just a thought i am happy to get it from the online store its pretty cheap

4. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

If you seal the wood with west system epoxy after your ships hull is fully assembled you should be fine with regards to water vs the plywood.

5. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I've built several ships with wood from Rockler's, and it's great.