Powering Graf Spee

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by vicious p, Oct 20, 2008.

1. vicious p

vicious p Well-Known Member

Hey guys, i know there is one pretty big thread on here about ESC's. But i really couldnt draw a conclusion on which would be the best one to try in my Big Gun DKM Graf Spee. Sounds like mtroniks is liked more than any other and its what i have in my Hindenburg. But im just wondering what the other options out there are since i dont really like the full power (ON) only of the mechanical throttle i made.

Also any suggestions on a good battery. I thought i was told to use 2 7.2V batteries used in series together. But i believe i made the Voltage 14.4V. So i need help.. thanks!

2. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

You could always use a geared system if you needed to slow your ship down.

3. Cannonman

Cannonman Ultimate Hero :P -->> C T D <<--

Has anyone tried this ESC??? It's the Associated A.I. Quantum Runner Reverse, if the link does not work. I've been looking at it, but haven't really heard it mentioned in the forums. Looks like it is already waterproof, and rated for a 60A draw, and the price looks OK. Only thing is I'm not sure about the set up, it says plug in and go.... does that mean that you can't set your top speed through it?? If not, could it be set through the radio programmable endpoints?? I haven't had time to get into the research yet.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKYX5&P=7

4. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

I have had good success with the MTroniks Viper Marine ESC. I use the 15 amp version. Match the ESC continuous current to the stall current on the motors, but there is no way you should need a 60A ESC. You also should not need 14.4V to get a big gun pocket battleship up to speed. 6V, 7.2V, 12V, and 9.6V are the most common I have seen (in order of descending popularity). If you run two 7.2V packs in parallel, you combine their amp-hours instead of their voltage, which can't hurt.

5. vicious p

vicious p Well-Known Member

I run my Hindenburg with (2) 6v gel cells in parallel and it works fine because i was given a diagram of how to do it properly. I didnt mean to run that many volts through Graf Spee but i guess i had thought i did it right without the diagram. Ill need to go look at the harness i made i apparently did it wrong because those motors are turning some serious RPM's.

thanks for the post, i suppose ill shop around for the MTroniks.

6. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

Try http://www.huntersystems.co.uk/acatalog/Electronic_Speed_Control.html for the full range of mtroniks ESC's. They even have brushless ESC's now.

7. wrenow

wrenow RIP

The MTronics works just fine on a pair of geared Speed 400's to put her through the full range of speed you will want. In fact, it will be overkill for a Spee. Gets the Dunkerque and Richelieu, both much bigger, beamier, ships well overspeed. With the Spee, you would probably be just fine with some geared 280's.

I run a pair of 7.2v NiMH batteries in parallel on the Dunk, so she is on 7.2v. This is kind of my standard running setup.

Cheers,