Powerpoles Vs Deans

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by Ragresen, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Ragresen

Ragresen Member

Ok since I am hearing several things and I currently have a preference for Deans Connectors I want to hear some differences between both and why one could be better than another when it comes to connectors in boats.

2. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Either is fine, just keep them clean is all. Powerpoles are a little cheaper from what I understand.

3. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Deans:
    connectors are gold
    polarized-cant hook them up backwards
    solder wire directly to connector which is encased in the plastic body (possible to melt parts of body or free the connector while soldering if it gets to hot for to long)
    two connectors per plug
    most local hobby shops carry them
    uses shrink wrap to cover solder joints
    smaller
    harder to unplug

Powerpoles:
    connectors aren't gold
    solder wire to connector which then slips securely into the plastic body (wont meld body soldering)
    hermaphroditic-(physically and electrically, no need to worry if you have enough female or male ends)
    one connector per plug
    modular in that you can connect an infinite number together which lets you create arrangements that best suit you and wont allow you to plug them in backwards and fry stuff.
    Ive always had to order these online
    solder joint covered once connector is inside the plastic body
    slightly cheaper and can be bought in bulk

thats about all i can think of right now, and of course those are just my personal view and opinions so if you think im dead wrong, good for you.

4. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

I would suggest deans A few years back something changed in the powerpoles and the plastic became more brittle. I used to use them in RC heli's for power but after I broke a few to many of the red connections just plugging them in and unplugging them I have not trusted them since.

If you have trouble getting the deans apart, I have used fishing line or some cloth ribbon to provide more pull in the joint. For particularly tight ones I will assemble the connector and then solder as that will usually loosten it up a bit.

5. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I like powerpoles because the connectors aren't gold... Silver oxidizes, yeah, but silver oxide is MORE conductive than plain silver. So it's a plus. Never had a problem with the plastic casings, maybe something in the application (vibration or heat?) caused Greg's issues. I use them for everything; Ham radios, boats, tanks, and pizza pies... all run on power thru powerpoles :)

mmm... pizza... :),,,

6. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

I've never had problems pulling Dean connectors apart. I don't think my hands are that strong. One of them was a little tight but I know I over heated the male side and the plug moved a little. You can't get them too hot for too long. Best to have a really hot iron.
    It's one of those personal preferance things. Both seam to work fine when used correctly.

7. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

any one have a secret conection to get powerpoles

8. Powder Monkey

What ones do you use? I'm guessing 15/30 AMP

9. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

The 15, 30, and 45 amp ones all fit the same plastic pieces, so I buy the 30A ones in big bags. 12 guage wire slips right in for easy soldering. I buy them in bulk from www.powerwerx.com but the smallest quantity they sell is 10 pairs (pair = 1 for + and one for -) for $9.95 plus shipping, which isn't too bad. If you buy 100 or 200 at a time they get a little cheaper, although 99.5 cents per pair is pretty good already.

10. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

That list is just my observations some good, some bad, some neither. Being harder to unplug is good if you don't want the connections coming loose in your boat (its happened to me with powerpoles but never with deans) but at the same time when you are in a hurry and your hands and the connectors are wet it can be annoying. Doesn't make them good or bad just different.

11. Powder Monkey

thanks Tug

12. Ragresen

Ragresen Member

Thanks for the information. While I will continue to use Deans it is good to have the ups and downs of each option for guys to see.