Prepping for a spring battle

Discussion in '1/96 Battlestations' started by Tugboat, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I am getting ready for a spring battle; beyond getting Bismarck built(in progress), I have gotten the loan of a CO2 fill station until I buy one for myself. Now, we need a pond. Any suggestions? I have a local pond here in Georgia, but I'd prefer a more central location so it's a shorter distance for the majority.

I want to set a date, and hold a battle, because if we don't start battling, we're just spinning our props on the bench!

2. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

Tug,

I've got a 50# CO2 bottle and a fill station.

As far as ponds go, I'm not sure how central it is, but there's a pond over near Houston that battlers have occasionally used. The place is really an R/C airfield, but they put in a pond for R/C seaplanes, and that's what the battlers have used.

Carl

3. Tugboat

Texas works for me, the only place more central than than in the south is the lake James was talking about in Louisiana. But I'd drive to TX :)

4. Mark

Mark Active Member

who and how many would be attending this little get-together? I would need a solid date to make such a trip down south dragging Yamato (and possibly a few others) with me. Oh yeh, I'm back to playing with boats agian:)

5. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

I will be ready.
    Centrally located will depend on who all plans to attend.
    I can host it here in Ohio, but I am also willing to travel to the battle, wherever it is located.
    Strasbourg will be ready. I can try to get Mogador finished as well.
    Mikey

6. Tugboat

Mark, I was starting to get worried about you! Worried that I'd have the only giant on the water, too! Visions of a mass 'hunt the Bismarck' scenario haunted my dreams...

7. Mark

Mark Active Member

got gaught up in work for 4 months and was away from home. solved the problem I had with my mtronic esc, it turns out it was operator error after all. I hadn't properly set up the maximum values when I paired them with the transmitter. in short I have full speed reverse. BTW, it is good to see that you got back on track w/ the Bismarck.

8. Mark

Mark Active Member

as for location of the battle, OH or GA would be better for me, not so far as LA or TX

9. froggyfrenchman

After giving this much thought, I would be willing to travel to the first battle if someone else can host it.
    I will then host an event later on in the year.
    As the distances between us is so far in most cases, I think it would be hard to try to attempt more than a couple/few meets per year with hopes of having good turnouts.
    Perhaps we can try to schedule three big events in 2009 and have all of them in different locations, so that everyone has the best chances of attending.
    Local events are a different animal altogether. We can have as many as we can, and hope that the non-local battlers can attend some.
    So if someone wants to host the spring event, I will almost certainly attend it.
    Then perhaps we can do one event in the middle of the summer, and one in the fall.
    Thoughts please.
    Mikey

10. Mark

Mark Active Member

There are several ponds next to where I live, and I belive that the town is planning on dredging one of them out this winter (so it should be nice for spring). I don't have much room at my house but there are plenty of motel/hotels in the area that I could get some info on, and maybe set-up some kind of special rat as long as enough people showed up. There is also several stores nearby that can fill CO2

11. froggyfrenchman

I have a 20 lb fill station that I will be bringing as well.
    Mikey

12. froggyfrenchman

I am wondering if it might be better to try to schedule our first event in like June. April and May will be pretty busy for me, but after May things will slow down.
    I will still try to attend if it is earlier.
    Mikey

13. Jumper

Jumper New Member

If you get one in June, I'll try to hurry up a boat to be ready.

Jump

14. froggyfrenchman

All
    I will be taking the Strasbourg to the R/C show this coming Sunday in Dayton.
    The local hobby shops put the show on every year, and there is generally a pretty good turn-out. She will definately be on the table for show. I am hoping to get to put her in the water, and run her around as well. I will try to post some up-dated photos.
    Mikey

15. froggyfrenchman

Although I have to admit that haven't made any progress on my battlestations boats for a long time. I did get Strasbourg down from the shelf, and clean her up for the event.
    Mikey

16. froggyfrenchman

I would like to set up a multi-format event with Treaty inviting the Battlestations group to our Xenia, Ohio site sometime in October.
    Probably the earlier in the month the better.
    Can anyone have a Battlestations boat ready by then??
    Mikey

17. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

'Fraid not me, Mikey. And even if I did have a boat ready, I couldn't get off work in October to come anyways. ;-(

Maybe next year...

Carl

18. Evil Joker

Evil Joker Member

its been along time not to hear from Tugboat is he ok ?

19. Mark

Mark Active Member

would like to, but I'm currently stuck on a project in West Point, and only go home on the weekends. my wife would kill me if I headed out there for a weekend. as to the whereabouts of tug, can't say. put a phone call in to him today but only got his voice mail. the only battling I'll be able to do will be local to the NE area while on these away projects

20. KeriMorgret

KeriMorgret Facilitator RCWC Staff Vendor

We've heard from Tugboat. He's OK, though real busy right now. We (Strike Models) are buying most of his molds and will be putting those into production this fall.