Proposal to include high pressure air in the rules

Discussion in '1/96 Battlestations' started by rcengr, Jan 1, 2013.

1. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

We have recently approved the following rule change for the Midwest Naval Combat Club battles, but I would also like to see it adopted into the original Battlestations rules. It basically adds high pressure air as an option and corrects some errors in the hydro testing requirement.
    Going off the rules posted on RC Naval combat site, this proposal aligns pressurized gas systems with current NAMBA rules as laid out in Section 8 C 3

NAMBA rules state:
    The primary (unregulated) CO2, HPA or Nitrogen supply vessel, whether refillable
    bottle or disposable cartridge, and any components between the CO2, HPA or
    Nitrogen supply and the regulator, as well as the regulator that controls the pressure
    from the primary CO2, HPA or Nitrogen supply vessel, must be commercially
    manufactured. In addition, if any part of the gas system after the regulator exceeds
    200 psi, then those components must be commercially manufactured also.

Battlestations! rules currently state:
    I. Safety
    A. Absolute safety override: Any captain may, upon discovery of what they believe to be an unsafe condition either on or off the water in the battle area, call a cease fire. This is done by yelling in a loud voice, "CEASE FIRE!" three times. All firing of cannons, maneuvering of ships, and handling of equipment is to cease at that time. If action is required to put equipment in a safe condition (i.e.,. closing a discharge valve on a CO2 tank), then that is permitted. The CD will speak with the captain calling the safety cease fire in order to learn the cause. It is the CD's duty to resolve the problem (or clarify the situation if it was not in fact a safety issue) and ensure the safety of all personnel in the battle area. After the situation has been resolved, the CD may direct that battle recommence. THE SAFETY CEASE-FIRE OVERRIDES ALL OTHER CONSIDERATIONS, INCLUDING LOSS OF A SHIP. SAFETY MUST BE AND IS THE IMPERATIVE.
    B. Gas system requirements
    1. All commercially manufactured components may not exceed their rated pressure, and all other components may not exceed 150 psig in all operating conditions.
    a. All CO2 bottles must be hydrostatically tested at an appropriate commercial facility every 6 years.
    2. The highest pressure that may exist downstream of the regulator is 150psig.
    a. All ships must have a 10/32" port specifically for the purpose of testing this pressure.
    b A regulator being tested must be tested with a full bottle of gas.
    c. A regulator's output pressure must be tested by the CD (or his designee) the first time the regulator is used, and after any maintenance.
    d. A regulator's output pressure may be tested at any time by challenge from another captain, whose regulator will be tested at the same time. Testing will be by the CD or his designee.
    3. All ships must have installed a gas cutoff valve that, when toggled, vents all pressure downstream of the regulator.

The Proposed changes are as follows:
    I. Safety
    A. Absolute safety override: Any captain may, upon discovery of what they believe to be an unsafe condition either on or off the water in the battle area, call a cease fire. This is done by yelling in a loud voice, "CEASE FIRE!" three times. All firing of cannons, maneuvering of ships, and handling of equipment is to cease at that time. If action is required to put equipment in a safe condition (i.e.,. closing a discharge valve on a pressure tank), then that is permitted. The CD will speak with the captain calling the safety cease fire in order to learn the cause. It is the CD's duty to resolve the problem (or clarify the situation if it was not in fact a safety issue) and ensure the safety of all personnel in the battle area. After the situation has been resolved, the CD may direct that battle recommence. THE SAFETY CEASE-FIRE OVERRIDES ALL OTHER CONSIDERATIONS, INCLUDING LOSS OF A SHIP. SAFETY MUST BE AND IS THE IMPERATIVE.
    B. Gas system requirements
    1. All commercially manufactured components may not exceed their rated pressure, and all other components may not exceed 150 psig in all operating conditions.
    a. All CO2, HPA, or Nitrogen bottles with a diameter greater than two inches must be hydrostatically tested at an appropriate commercial facility every 5 years, as per DOT regulations.
    2. The highest pressure that may exist downstream of the regulator is 150psig.
    a. All ships must have a 10-32 threaded port specifically for the purpose of testing this pressure.
    b A regulator being tested must be tested with a full bottle of gas.
    c. A regulator's output pressure must be tested by the CD (or his designee) the first time the regulator is used, and after any maintenance.
    d. A regulator's output pressure may be tested at any time by challenge from another captain, whose regulator will be tested at the same time. Testing will be by the CD or his designee.
    3. All ships must have installed a gas cutoff valve that, when toggled, vents all pressure downstream of the regulator.
    4. Any HPA or Nitrogen fill stations shall be clearly marked as such and located in a different location than any CO2 fill stations.

The added section I B 4 is to prevent a CO2 tank (800 psi) from being filled at a HPA (3000 psi) station. The burst disk should prevent a catastrophic failure, but why risk it.

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I'm good with that. Not changing the intent, but adjusting the rules to fit other propellants, for the most part.

3. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I do indeed have proof that the burst disks work. After getting one of my HPA bottles hydro tested, the testing facility swapped the 5k burst disk upstream of the primary regulator with the 2.5k burst disk downstream of the primary regulator. As I filled the bottle, the 2.5k disk popped its top right at 2.5k, just as designed. I was quite angry at the hydro company, of course, but it was nice to know that the burst disks work as designed, not just whenever they feel like it.

I would like to point out, though, that HPA fill stations use a quick-disconnect air nipple to fill the bottle, while CO2 fill stations use a threaded fitting. They are quite incompatible with each other. It is still a good idea to mark and separate the fill stations, if only to prevent people from spending 5 minutes looking for the CO2 fitting while staring at the HPA fill station.