props+shafts

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by Mark, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Mark

Mark Active Member

Anyone know where to get quality props and shafts? I checked with Ships-n-things and their 2" diam, 3 blade D-type props run $22.95 each and the matching shafts are around $30.00 each. I would like to see if there are any better options out there. Also the viper speed controllers run between $60 to $75 apiece (I need two) Any suggestions? I don't want to spend a fortune but on the same token I don't want quality to suffer (I'll spend the $$ if necessary, since I plan on having the ship for a long time).

2. klibben

klibben Member

not sure if he does shafts, but Alan Brierly (hope i spelled that right) does custom made props. I've never bought them but i visit him occasionally and watch him make them, very nicely done and seems to be a fair price... gets alot of return business from his customers. If you'd liked his email i can find it for you..... in fact i believe he's a member of this site.

3. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

Check out Loyalhanna Dockyard for props. For shafts, it's easy enough to make your own from materials in the K&S brass rack at your local hobby or hardware store.

JM

4. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Alan makes some great props. I make shafts with sintered oil impregnated sleeve bearings, if you are interested.

-Greg

5. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

I know rcnavalsupply makes them; there are several places listed in the known vendors section... Look at:
    Visit this site

6. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

I buy my props direct from Raboesch, the quality is remarkable and the prices are good. Shafts are easily made from stock stainless rod and brass tube, I make my shaft bearings from teflon.

7. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

He got out of the props business, but then got back in again for limited, stock sizes. Worth checking, just to see if his status has changed again or if he might do a special order - or if one of his standard sizes will do the trick. I've bought a few from him & can attest to them being of fine quality.

Raebosch are just overkill, to me, for combat. For fine-scale, they'd be great. A big drawback, as far as I'm concerned, is that they all seem to have metric threads. That means a set of dies for me, if I'm going to make my own shafts, or else the expense of buying them pre-made (& probably not exact fit for what I need). Personally, I prefer setscrew hubs since they're just so easy to use.

I wrote up an article a long time ago, about my prop. shaft construction method. See:

http://www.ntxbg.org/pgOnTheWays/pgStuffTube.htm

JM

8. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I know that Grey Wolf Sqdn is making them now, might be worth an email... As far as shafts, I'd give Greg some business, he does good work.

Greg, when I finish Gneisenau, I may order some shafts for other projects ;)

9. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

Yeah, If I hadn't already made shafts I would have probably picked some from grey wolf or Basin... For some reason basin isn't under the "props & shafts" on the vendors page.... hmmm.