Propulsion Recommendations for a Bretagne (IRCWCC)

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by absolutek, Sep 1, 2010.

1. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

I'm building a Bretagne class battleship for IRCWCC rules, and am looking for advice on what kind of setup I should use in it. Under IRCWCC rules it is allowed to go 28sec/100ft, it has 4 props (with 4-blades), a single rudder (~2.75sq/in scale size), and is 45.42" long with a beam of 7.42". I'm assuming that I should just power the inboard two props as that seems what most everybody else does. I will also be using an mTroniks ESC of some sort.
    What I would like recommendations on are whether to use two motors or one motor with a gearbox to turn the two props, what size of motor(s), and what size/pitch of props I should get.
    --Chase

2. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

I really like the BC single motor, two shaft gearbox. It is quiet, so much so that during the IRCWCC nats, someone asked if the Erin had a gearbox in it because the ship was so quiet. Coupled with sturdy graphite and aluminum construction, accepts a wide range of pinion gears, and the dogbone cups can be flipped to the opposite side of the gearbox to shorten its total length, it all ends up being a solid choice for the two shafted ships.

Is the Bretange's rudder larger than class size? It looks absolutely huge on the plans, making me think that we could submit it for use as a scale size rudder.

3. absolutek

What kind of motors did you use with that gearbox?
    The Bretagne's rudder actually comes out ~0.28sq/in bigger than the allowed Class 4 Rudder, which is only 2.5sq/in. I'm not aware of having to submit it in IRCWCC, I think you just have to be able to prove its scale if somebody challenges it, and that wouldn't happen unless I went to a nats or maybe a regionals.

Maybe Marty or somebody out there will know.

--Chase

4. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

True. Coming from the MWC, I think in their rules. Heh. For oversized scale rudders, MWC requires at least two sources with the scale rudder on it. Although to me, the original shipyard plans by the French is pretty much unrefutable. :)

I wonder how the IRC does it? Just having the plans with us as proof if questioned seems to be a simple way to handle it.
    Motor wise, I used a stock 540 motor as supplied by BC with a 20'ish tooth pinion gear. I've since switched over to a brushless 540 sized motor with a 16 tooth pinion. I'm not overly concerned about the pinions, since the speed can be dialed down by the ESCs.

Hopefully, we'll see your Bretange on the water soon! I expect it'll be a good solid battler. :)

5. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

I'd be tempted to gear down a set of 550s to about 4000 RPM each (out of the water) (aprox 3:1 gearing at 6VDC for mine), putting a pair of fat blade, shallow pitch 1.5" props on them so you can move lots of water but not bog the motors down. Outer shafts would get drag discs and final adjustments made via ESC.

6. absolutek

Indeed I expect it to be a pest on the water. Theres not very much to hit on the stern because of the stringer and the sharp angle of the hull

7. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

I think it would be a great looking little battleship to see on the water. One that I have not seen before.
    Have you thought about how you would set up the cannons on her?
    I have been looking at this ship also. I am also looking at the Corbet class. Not much difference in the two ship classes.
    The Bretagne gets an extra half-unit, and has a fifth turret position. The Courbet has the wing turrets. Both classes seem to have fairly
    large rudders.
    Mikey

8. froggyfrenchman

Eric Rossignol - Images au fil des jours - 3D

Here is a link to some nice models.
    Mikey

9. froggyfrenchman

http://www.erossdesign.com/3d/battleships/index.html

10. absolutek

im probably going to go with a sidemount in the upper bow turret, a sidemount in the middle turret and a 1.5 unit in the upper stern turret. i would love to do a courbet some day as well a jean bart