PS2 Controller

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by JustinScott, Jan 30, 2007.

1. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

Everyone dreams of having a PS2 controller for their warship.

I ask why? I really don't see the need or desire for it.
    The sticks are not that large, so you are loosing some precision.
    There are a lot of buttons, but I'm not convinced they are the right buttons for what we are doing.
    The sticks are in a circle pattern, so when you are going full throttle, you cannot turn left of right without loosing speed. More specifically, you cannot turn "hard over" & have any thrust at all!

So please explain why you want one of these?

2. Craig

Craig Active Member

It would be kewl. Think about kids everywhere, snipping the cables and running to lakeside to watch their heroes battle it out with the same controller they hold in their hand. SO my thought is Hero Worship. Next?

On a serious note. I have logged twenty to thirty times ( I can't really guestimate) more time with the PS2 controller over the flight sticks. So, for me it would be ease of use. Can't really compare as I have never used one for RC. You have to admit, it would attract a few looks!

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I like the PS2 controller. Hours and hours of personal "testing" time have shown that it's very ergonomic, with good button layout and grip. The XBOX controller is also nice, and has the advantage of 2 trigger-type buttons. I also have no problem with a lighter controller going to a 1 or 2 pound belt unit.
    I don't see the slightly smaller sticks (with the big mushroom heads) as representing a loss of precision. It's a question of practice. The more you use one, the better your control gets. Besides which, I don't see many people needing fine control of their warships. Most people are using MAG throttles (either on or off), and firing rotating/elevating solenoid-fired guns (on or off, again). One could probably acheive adequate results with a PS1 or even original Nintendo controller. My wife would kill me for chopping up her classic Nintendo, though.

WOW... I just thought about that! How cool would it be to build it into a classic Nintendo, using the original controllers? 8) Glee! Have 2 2.4GHz radios in it, and have two guys battling their boats lakeside, like a big video game!! I may have to raid Ebay for parts :)

4. Craig

Craig Active Member

So you can go from MK3 to the pond and back from some ea sports action (preferablly NHL 07)!!!!

5. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

Or we can use the XBOX360 controller & go from battlestations: Midway to the pond back to battlestations: Midway

6. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Gotta go with a Nintendo DS! Use a shipboard camera on the main screen, and have the touch screen displaying a radar printout from your ship. Just touch the screen where you want to fire and it'll automatically track all guns to the designated point. Then just pull the trigger :)

7. donanton

donanton Member

I'd want to see that carl!

8. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I'm using a PS2 wireless controller with a card from Cheap Control Systems right now for boat driving :)

I need to build a pair of colinear antennas to get gain on both ends, but it works really well. Shame they're out of stock now, though...