Pump Flow

Discussion in 'Construction' started by tgalx3, Sep 21, 2024.

1. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

Should I cut out the sides around the pump to get more water Flow around the inlet? I’m finding that when I turn the pump on to 100% I get a spray out of the outlet instead of a nice solid stream. Would that cause this issue?

upload_2024-9-21_10-14-11.jpeg

2. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

Spray is good, it’s a higher flow rate than the solid stream. I recommend hose clamps on the pump outlet tubing and hose to restricter

Justin Ragucci and tgalx3 like this.
  3. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

Great minds think a like. I put pipe clamps on both my ships today.

can we nerd out of pumps for second? Why does the higher pressure/spray mean a higher flow rate? To my uneducated pump mind a spray would mean that air is filling that space?

4. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

well, @notSoGnarly and I did a bunch of testing using that exact pump and motor on various voltages.... I'm sure he could drop in with our data

tgalx3 likes this.
  5. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

The higher flow rate is from the pump spinning faster from higher power brushless motors. The power consumed for the higher speed goes up proportionally to the speed change, to the third power (going twice as fast consumes roughly 8x more power, for some portions of the pump curve). To your question of why the flow ‘separates’ and becomes more of a spray than a stream, I would guess it has to do with the velocity of the water going through the center of the restrictor and the angle of the converging and diverging portions of the restrictor so the water can’t ‘stick’ to the increasing diameter portion from boundary layer deterioration

Panzer and TorpCruiser like this.
  6. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

When I asked to nerd out you went all out. So what your saying is the volume coming out has nothing to do with the visuals of the water stream...

7. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

"Yes"

I would still remove material around the pump body to allow more water to collect in/around it, especially with a nice high perf brushless setup.

I experimented with a bunch of different things before settling on what I'm now offering as the SJS pump. I've found that, especially with faster brushless motors, moving up to 1/2" vinyl outlet tubing vs the hobby longtime standard of 3/8 does result in a slight performance bonus. The length of the vinyl also will have a noticeable impact on the pump visual. Matt Andrew's Baden with an SJS pump and about 3~ inches of vinyl creates a massive pressure washer stream at full power. It's downright impressive, arguably usable as an offensive unit. My Jean Bart's same exact pumps with about 6" and 9" of vinyl produce very solid garden-hose looking streams.

Panzer, Justin Ragucci and tgalx3 like this.
  8. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

Well it sounds like I have another winter project to put on the list for the Biz.
    My outlet pipe is about 3" long but the old brass style.

9. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Yeah, a little more room around the pump body may help. You've only got gravity and atmospheric pressure moving water under the housing and into the impeller area. If you recall, my Big Gun Mikasa (with brushless pump and a 1/4" outlet) was effectively only limited by the area around the pump. It was so limiting that I had to replace an entire section of the hull just to get better flow.

10. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

So what your saying is make the area as big as possible? Im going to get this cut out and you guys are going to be in real trouble then... LOL

11. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

"Yes"

Water channeling and creating a sump for the pump are a bit of an acquired art. I don't think I've even really figured it out. But you absolutely want the pump sunk as low as possible, with a nice basin around the pump for water to collect. In my most modern kits, I use a 3-3.5" diameter circle centered on the pump motor shaft as the cutting tool to create the pump basin, if that gives you an idea to aim for.

upload_2024-10-3_9-45-1.png

BigGunJeff and tgalx3 like this.
  12. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

Cool. I was curious how big it should be. In the Bismarck, I feel quite confident I could get 3.5" in there.

13. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

Keep in mind this is 1 person's build technique, you might end up with 15 answers to this question. Taking spy photos from build threads and in person at battles is key when it comes to specific build techniques like this topic.

14. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

Sure. I understand. I am taking it as a starting point and can adjust as new (maybe better) information presents itself.

bsgkid117 likes this.
  15. Anvil_x

lemme show ya what I'm doing for the Dale Earnhardt Project. it's very similar to what Will does, because he gave me the ideas I ran with.

upload_2024-10-4_13-51-0.png

so I build the hull completely separate from the internals. it allows me to try really strange things and still not futz up too much. so here's what it looks like without the hull
    upload_2024-10-4_13-53-34.png

so I have the forward pump up on a 3/16" high platform right at the end of the water channeling. the aft pump is at the lowest aft-most part of the hull and the area around both pumps acts as a sort of "Parlor" with all of the sides sloped toward the aft pump. the hydrology of the hull says "you go there, sloshy stuff", and there is plenty of sloped room in there forcing water to the pump to keep it from stalling out.

The elevated forward pump (The pump will be a bit further aft than in the below screenshot, Lads. I'm still dialing in this gut sled) is elevated on the advice of @Beaver . The general jist can likely be explained better by the Northeast guys since they invented the idea, but in practice the forward pump is the "Giver da GOOSE!" pump, which will keep her alive after I spend an entire sortie trying to do something terribly stupid like sink @Bob with my wal-mart brand Nagato

upload_2024-10-4_13-59-3.png

tgalx3 likes this.
  16. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

That is quite the setup. I am distracted by this image.

upload_2024-10-4_11-58-3.png

I understand whats going on with the slopes. But whats up with the "pockets"? Wont those trap water?

17. Commodore

Commodore Well-Known Member

Hmm ... I dunno, but from those cross sections, are you sure that a 3 pump Hood is a wise idea???

18. Anvil_x

they're pockets for ballast. in the form of Lead birdshot mixed with epoxy. they'll be completely filled in and flush with the rim

tgalx3 likes this.
  19. Anvil_x

That's a weird thing to call Dale.