pump mounting

Discussion in 'Construction' started by Buddy, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Hi Guys I have come up with a nice little bracket to hold my pump in place, actually it is more like a sleeve that the pump slides down into. It has inlets that allow water in through the sides at the bottom. Now it is also designed to use a peice of a filter from a fish tank in the bottom to keep the junk out of the pump. The whole thing will be made out of alluminlite so it can be sanded and or drilled. I have made 2 sizes one for the small cruiser type pumps and one for the larger BB sized pumps.Right now I have the molds done and a couple of samples made, waiting on a new supply from the manufacturer. Will supply pics when up and ready. I did this because I was tired of always looking for a way to bolt or screw down my pump so it would not move around, this way you epoxy this holder in to the spot you want , then just slide your pump in and your done! It is a little tight fit so there is no moving around.
    Buddy

2. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Nice. looking forwards to seeing it.

3. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

I use a similar idea for my tug, but it's just a section of pvc tube, with a slot cut in the side, epoxied directly to the hull. The filter is donut shaped and slid down over the outside.

4. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Housing for pumps I am now in production.[​IMG]

5. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

I have 2 sizes, one for cruisers pumps and one for battleship pumps.They are made for battlers connection pumps but could be used for others.
    Buddy

6. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

7. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

8. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Hi Buddy, could you show a photo of how a pump is supposed to fit inside your mounting?

9. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I can see the slot where the pump outlet from the base would slide into but most pumps have the outlet exiting the base at an angle. What if the slot also was cut horizontally to allow pumps like a BC pump to fit in it. Rignt now it looks to accomodoate only one style of pump exit tube. I like the concept though and with a little modification this would make a great mount. I could certaintly use several.

10. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

You can cut the slot over a little bit or sand it to fit your pump. Just use a dremel and away you go! They were orginally made to fit B.C. pumps but with a little work I think they will fit about any thing. I will get my pump out and take some more pics for you.
    Buddy

11. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

12. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

13. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

14. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Ok thi sis the small pump houseing useing a Alan B. pump. As you can see the discharge is at an angle. Just sand or rasp the cut out at an angle and in you go.
    Buddy

15. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Looks good.

16. radollar2000

radollar2000 Active Member

That looks great! So one quick question from an inquisitive mind . Has it been shown that having the pump slightly raised off the bottom of the boat helps it work better? Only reason I ask is I seem to remember reading about that but there hadn't been any testing on it yet and since I'm in a refit stage right now... Anyway, as I said your pump housing looks much better than my setup. :)

17. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Well the pics is with the pump off the bottom to show how it would sit with a filter from a fish tank under it. I dont know if there has been a test or not , havent tried that.
    Buddy

18. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

You need to get water into the bottom of the pump. The nuts that hold the housing together give about the right space. You really need to test the pump in your ship to make sure it makes normal pump out times for 1 gal of water. A big BC pump with a high speed motor should pump a gal in 25-30 sec. Same housing with a cruiser pump is 40-45 sec. A small BC housing with a cruiser motor is around a min. All this with a 1 unit outlet. A 1/2 unit outlet with a large housing and high speed motor gets a gal a min. a small pump cruiser motor and 1/2 outlet take 1min 20 sec to pump a gal.
    If you put the pump up too hign you'll have extra water in the ship it can't get too. It's a little big of a balance act to get it just right.

19. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

I found that adding another nut to the bolt, then putting it in the pump housing worked for me, my pump before was loosing suction at times because it was pumping out the water faster than it was able to flow under the pump housing. The extra nut raised it around 1/8 in.

20. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Dave, that may have been due to the high-powered motor. You use a Titan or a Stinger or something fancy, ja? :) I can see cavitation being a problem with the really fast motors. I wonder if Greg (Mr. Heat Xfer/Fluid Flow) has any advice on designing an impeller for a high-speed motor...