Pump outlet angles ???

Discussion in 'Construction' started by t_josef, Mar 12, 2009.

1. t_josef

t_josef Member

What is the thought on the direction that a pump outlet discharges?
    According to IRCWCC rules ~"A pump outlet shall be aimed so that it discharges water outside of the ship at an angle which is either not more than 10 degrees above horizontal, or an angle which is not more than 10 degrees from vertical."
    What does this mean? And what would be best for my 5 unit ship ? (konig)

Thank you.

Tom

2. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

It means that it can be from vertical (aka 90 degrees) to 80 degrees in any direction or it can be 0 degrres (horizontal) or between negative 10 and positive 10 degrees.

3. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

the reason was that a pump at 45 degrees or so can spray radios on the shore.

Marty

4. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

hehe... a pump at 80 degrees can if the enemy has you pinned alongshore... but then if they pin me so I can only run along shore, they asked for a bath anyhow.

5. t_josef

t_josef Member

Thank you for your responses...

So spray high, or spray low...but no on~shore body shots...~ It actually makes sense.

Is there any tactical benifits to where you spray.?? I understand that a strong show of water advertises your weakness...but do most people shoot to the stern or one of the sides? ....I also like the idea of the stream being the same as one of your guns...kind of like an aquatic training wheel like gun sight...

6. Tugboat

A lot of peeps shot it straight out the back; a lot send it straight up. A very few discharge it underwater to hide how bad they're damaged. I don't recommend it as the backpressure limits ultimate flow rate (the lake water pushes back, basically). I run mine straight up, maybe a few degrees off, but it's not any tactical advantage. The ones that shoot straight aft can be used to spray the enemy boats, maybe put some more water into their hulls.

7. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

I have my pump out the side of the boat in such a way so I can pick it up pumping and it shoots to my side and does not get me or people's transmitters wet. The ones that go straight up can be difficult to control and almost always result in a face full of water when leaning over your boat.

8. Tugboat

LOL Rob, I have NEVER turned on my pump while leaning over the ship ;) NEVER! ;)

My upwards-pointing pump outlet is mostly a matter of easy installation rather than strategic thinking. It's easy to just point the hose up and have only one bend in the hose...

9. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

YEEEEEEPPPPPPP!!!
    I have an auto switch so I am sure it would wait until I wasn't expecting it :eek:

10. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Of course, you know how the gremlins act.
    Ive got some in my Dremel right now, got to send it to Wisconsin.

11. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I have used various versions. Bismarck was set orignally to pump out 10 degrees above horizonal. It soaked superstructures, ankles or kneecaps depending on how short you are. Yamato is set vertical with a 10 degree angle and this clears the ship of water but keeps it off most spectators unless it's windy. To see an example of a full height vertical stream there is a pic in the beauty shots I think but it is there in our Ships section.

12. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

I like it to shoot straight up as it gives ME a good indication of what my damage is, and it looks cool for spectators.

13. t_josef

t_josef Member

I don't know .... that one sounds a bit wrong....

14. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

mine goes straight up and gets you in the arm pit when carrying the boat from the shore. (auto-pump!) :eek:

Marty

15. 11561

11561 New Member

I had been thinking of discharging underwater aft, so that in the event of a motor or motor battery failure (I'll prolly run a battery for the pump and another battery for everything else.) the outrushing stream of water would have at least some motive effect. Probably not enough to move the ship anywhere fast, but at least it's something. And there's also the neat feature of not letting anyone see how badly you're damaged. That is, of course, until your ship starts disappearing into the water.

cheers

16. Tugboat

Doing that will noticeably reduce your pump's flow due to the backpressure.