Pump Switches

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by HorribleHarry, Sep 22, 2009.

1. HorribleHarry

HorribleHarry Member

Hey there everyone! I'm starting a new build & was wondering what you all were using as a pump switch? Any new suggestions / recommendations? thoughts on team delta boards? (enough amperage for a hot pump motor?)
    Also what rating switches are you using?
    My VDT has a on/off pushbutton setup and shares a servo with a poppet, whereas my California has a dedicated channel/mini servo & a snap action switch. Am I wasting battery power on the servo always being "on" when holding the switch lever?
    thanks all,
    Harry

2. Evil Joker

Evil Joker Member

3. MWC13

MWC13 Member

A servo, sitting idle, is pulling a minimal amount of current. Even under normal operation, they pull only a small amount of current with a small peak at startup. However, that changes when a servo is binding or restricted. In that case, the current can skyrocket.

4. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

I use these:

www.dimensionengineering.com/PicoSwitch.htm

and

www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Tyco-E...90S1D12-5/

This gives you the same as the battleswitch or team delta switch but with 20 or 30A depending on how its wired and how you use it. The relays are under $4 each and are easily replaceable.

There is a 6v version from another vendor but its twice the price. The picoswitch is 5v anyway so it needs to send 5v to the relay as a trigger. It can switch higher voltages.

You can even make a throttle using a different version.

5. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

digital servos use power all of the time even when sitting idle but an antilog servo does not.

6. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

Personally I just bought a cheap $6 forward only ESC for this purpose. Seemed cheaper and easier than a switch or mechanical servo based solution. I bought it from HobbyKing.

7. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

I use an on/off push button activated by servo in my Invincible/Salem (shares the same water tight box at the present). The Belleau Wood has a half MAG throttle (micro switch with a servo).

8. wrenow

wrenow RIP

I tend to use either an APC (automatic pump circuit) - plans are on the NTXBG web site in the knowledgebase, or an inexpensive aircraft type ESC. Actually, at the moment, I have an Mtroniks Marine ESC runing the pump in Dunk due to an emergency fix at NABGO. However, it is working fine, and fites a niche in the hull nicely, so it will proably live there for a while.

Cheers,