QE hull Bob Pottle

Discussion in 'Washington Treaty Combat' started by Gettysburg114th, May 30, 2008.

1. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

Hey Bob,
    I lost where I posted this earlier. Are you looking to do a hull for the QE? Or a nice R Class?
    Thanks,

2. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

I have the Anatomy of the Ship book on Warspite and have thought of doing a hull mold with accurate bulges, though they'd be hard to shape, and hard to sheet on the model.

I've also considered the R Class. Two of them (Royal Oak + ?) had a simpler bulge shape than the QEs so the plug would be easier to build. I have good plans for those Rs. The hull wouldn't be accurate for the other 3.

I might do an R plug this fall as the plans for the G3 are proving hard to find. Have to re-do the Krasni Krim plug and mold before any new projects.

Bob

3. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

An R would be nice. As I said in a previous thread Mikey has some plans for the G3.

4. Gettysburg114th

I looked at the plans Mikey had for the G3. What a monster.

5. Bob Pottle

I'm excited about receiving the G3 plans. Despite the fact that I put much time and $$ into making the Vanguard and Albatross molds but haven't sold a single hull, I might tackle the G3 because I'd want one for myself. It'll depend on the quality of the plans.

Bob

6. Gettysburg114th

I've seen the Vanguard hull. Very nice. I don't understand why it doesn't sell?

7. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

The Vanguard was a very nice hull, but some thought that they couldn't get enough down-angle on the sidemounts. Or possibly also the stern guns.
    Mikey

8. klibben

klibben Member

Also, the sheer size is what stopped me from getting one (not to mention the shipping for such a beast).

9. Bob Pottle

Limited down-angle is a problem for all British ships with 15" turrets if the turret height is scale - they're quite shallow. I calculated they need to be ~1/8" higher than scale. When I get around to making a new 15" turret mold the turrets will be taller.

I know Steve Hill followed my advice when making his turret mold specifically for Vanguard but he had a mold failure and has to do the mold again. I'm waiting to see how his turrets turn out.

The Vanguard hull is big but no monster like Hood, Yamato or Iowa - it's almost identical in size to the Richilieu and smaller than Bismarck.

The high bow prevents fire directly ahead but the bow guns can fire to either side of the bow within the 15 degree limit. The stern configuration poses no more of a problem firing aft than it does with any of the flush deck WWII American battleships or the Bismarck.

Steve Hill's Vanguard has run speed trials but is quite a bit above its IRCWCC speed limit. It's still a while away from being combat ready but well in advance of mine, which will be done by next spring. We'll have to wait and see how they perform.

Bob