QE Model Study

Discussion in 'Ship Plans' started by SteveT44, Sep 12, 2014.

1. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

Hello from the UK. Found this fine model of the Warspite at the RN museum in Portsmouth.
    Enjoy

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
    jimmybeekeeper and Anachronus like this.
  2. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

3. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

This seems to confirm what I thought I knew….:confused:
    I can build to the Barham plans, but can call my ship any of the 4. They all went through a phase where they had both bulges and casements. We just can’t find prints for anything but Barham. People want to model ships that were in wars, so we can see WWI configurations pre-bulge, or WWII configurations bulge with casements removed. Can’t find prints for between war retrofits. Barham never got the last retrofit.
    Keith

4. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Keith, what year are you modelling? I have the Profile Morskie for Barham 1941 (for'd casements armed, aft ones welded shut but not covered over) if you'd like it.

5. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

Yes please, :D I order & paid Profile Morskie for them, paper plans & have been waiting a month so far.....
    The 1941 Bayham is what I am building.

Keith
    Keith.d.Maxwell@boeing.com

6. Tugboat

Email sent!

7. rstalnaker

rstalnaker Member

Does anyone have a good set of QE plans (WWII without casemates) that includes hull-form? I'm looking to scratch build mine.

8. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

Rob ,
    You might have more success if you started a new thread. SMC and Profile Morskie both have the hull forms. I don’t know about Taubman.
    SMC has the 1944 Q.E. http://modelyard.narod.ru/english/index.htm
    Taubman has QE (WW2) http://www.taubmansonline.com/
    Profile Morskie 1943 Q.E. paper 1/144 or PDF A4 format http://profilemorskie.home.pl/Profile_1a.htm

9. jimmybeekeeper

jimmybeekeeper Active Member

which queen elizabeths does strike have plans for they show qe 1941 and valiant no year,warspite after 1924-1926 refit arent those representing all the refits and the original?

10. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

Jim,
    If you really want to test your wood building ability, please still consider a convoy ship. I don't think you have anyone near you in the hobby, so your potential primary help will be this website and the members who are contributing of their time. We all want to see you succeed, just slow down and pick something that is already close to your building skills. Then you can add to it and ask specific, relevant questions.
    Example would be to build a C3 cargo ship. Once that is built, you can change it into a carrier (Bouge class), oiler, tender, etc....). You could build a Cleveland class and change it into a carrier as well.
    Go to a couple of battles and ask to drive a QE or other battleship around between battles and get a feel for that class. Ask tons of questions and take LOTS of pictures, you will find most captains love to talk about their boat and most importantly what they would do differently. Learn from their building issues/mistakes and then start on your own.
    If you do a convoy now before a battle, there are a lot of us that can help you get it ready to drive around.
    Hope this helps, I really want to see you around in the hobby 10+ years from now.
    Lou

11. jimmybeekeeper

thank you for the advice v i have plans for a conoy ship and a few others i also have the cleveland carrier plans and as far as my next build it will be a cleveland carrier im not bouncing around although i can see why it may seem so i do plan on going to a meet and watching talking and learning .
    im not bouncing around trying to decide what to build i am bouncing around trying to learn the strengths and weaknesses of different boats why some ships are said to be so much harder to build and learning tactics to use different weapons
    i am no where close to anyone in the forum, so i need at least 2 ships one to shoot at and one to shoot from i dont follow the logic tho of waiting 2 or 3 years before building a second ship { thats a second ship after the first is complete} .
    will i learn something from useing my cleveland definitely would i be happy going to meet s 2 or 3 times a year to battle a boat not capable of sinking another ship for 2 years not a chance .
    what i think the people doing this hobby for years might miss is despite the learning curve in building different boats everyone doesnt like run and gun, im going to learn it, im going to be good at it, i really dont think its my thing tho so im trying to learn enough in the next year or so to make a world class ship to fit my style and my pleasure .bob p and tug convinced me that the cruiser was a great first choice im completely onboard with it i never agreed not to dream or attempt a ship that i want to build if you want me to be around in ten years i have to be having fun if i cant get to the water to fight and i cant build and i cant dream about that perfect boat well whats going to keep me interested for the next 9 and a half years?

12. Tugboat

In your situation, having two boats is good, because having two allows recruiting (because you have a loaner boat). When you come to the March battle, you need to come by the shop and let us see what can be done. There might be a spare cruiser hull somewhere; two ships that shoot is a better basis for recruiting than one cruiser and one convoy ;)

Besides, if your first ship is as good as my first ship, it may need some tweaking in the shop after its sea trials... my first (HMS Lion) lasted all of 10 minutes and wound up with all the electronics on board burned out. Totally a great start, right? On the plus side, the pump stayed on so I finished my 5 minutes! :) Pretty sure you'll do better than that on your first day battling :)

13. jimmybeekeeper

well tug i hope so but i realize i dont know crap about what im doing lol its part of the charm of it all :D
    my biggest hope is that when i get sunk it teaches me something, there really is a huge learning curve in this hobby.

PrepmasterNick likes this.
  14. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Why not buy one of Ralph Coles' QE hulls. They are specific to QE and Valiant post-rebuild so don't have casemates. That'll save you a LOT of work.

Bob

15. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

Agreed, it is a fantastic hull

16. Tugboat

Best quality layup I've seen, and the detail is so nice :) Ralph does great work.

17. jimmybeekeeper

to be honest it looks a lot harder than scratch building to me

18. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

Warspite after 1924-1926 refit should be the magic bullet. Has torpedo blisters & casements.
    [​IMG]

jimmybeekeeper likes this.
  19. jimmybeekeeper

awesome yes thats exactly what i want thank you maxspin

20. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

I have put in an inquiry to Strike to verify that.

jimmybeekeeper likes this.