Question about Dean's Antenna's

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by tsolson55, May 6, 2010.

1. tsolson55

tsolson55 Active Member

I have 2 older Deans antennas and 1 has a white lead and the other has a green lead. I don't ever remember having the amount of glitches that I had last Sat. during a battle. They finally lead to my DKM Lutzow being sunk.
    So the question is, is there a difference in the green antenna and the white one? It seems to me that the green one was for the 27hrz radio but I'm not sure. Also would it make a deference if the antenna was painted? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    Skippy

2. wrenow

wrenow RIP

Can't say about the Dean's green vs white, but would not be surprised to find the green to be 27mHz and the white 72/75mHz. 27mHz antennas are not the correct length for 72/75mHz, of course.
    It is entirely possible that the antenna or the cable has corrosion in it if you have been sunk a time or two )water will wick in and corrode the antenna if allowed in (I scotchkote both ends on mine). Or a break. Or a bad connection.
    As for paint, depends on the paint - most do not present a problem, however.
    BTW - sure have had a lot fewer glitches since I went to 2.4gHz for most uses......
    Cheers,

3. tsolson55

tsolson55 Active Member

Thanks for the help, I switched my Derflingger over to 2.4, and haven't had a problem with it either. I just have 2 Airtronics VG-600 sitting around and wanted to do something with them other than using them for anchors. I guess I'll have to try one of the less expensive 2.4 radios.
    Thanks again

4. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

Are you looking to sell your old 75mhz radios?

5. wrenow

wrenow RIP

You do know about the Hobby King 2.4gHz series, right? Do be sure to read all the pros/cons/gotchas, but I happen to really like them. And for $33 each for the 6ch plus $20 shipping each, you may be able to afford multiples.
    hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store/uh_li...oducts.asp
    Acrtually, I notice the Mode 1 version (spring return to center on laft stick), which I prefer (I like a spring return to center on throttle for my ESC) is now on sale for #29.95 (not counding the programming adapter).
    Strike is currently carrying this model for shipment in the US, but at an upcharge, since he has already paid for the shipping to the US. They are not on his web site yet, so I do not know wha his price is.
    Do remember the rch has no EPAs etc.
    Cheers,