QUESTION: How do I waterproof a battery?

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by mistamax, Jun 9, 2011.

1. mistamax

mistamax New Member

Hey everyone, I have figured out pretty well how to water proof my servos and brush motor, but not my battery. I was wondering if any of you fine folk could give me some advice on the subject. Thanks.
    Max

2. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

what sort of battery do you need to waterproof? different types of batteries have different requirements. For example, SLA batteries don't care about water at all. Just make sure the contacts don't rust. NiCd and NiMH batteries benefit from a layer of skotchkote, which prevents rust from blocking the overpressure-relief valves. If rust blocks those, then the battery may explode if you overcharge it. Li-Ion batteries are too unstable in water and violently explode, so do not use them in a combat ship. I am not sure about the specifics of LiPoly and LiFe, but others on this forum do.

3. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

LiFE cells are perfectly safe in water. I tend to use a coating on the terminals to prevent corrosion.

4. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I tool dip my Nimh batteries.

5. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

guys,
    I was wondering that two! cause i'm looking at getting these for my LST: http://www.batteryjunction.com/tenergy-6v-1600mah.html .. There the Tenergy 11114 6V 1600mAh NiMH Side by Side Double Hump Battery Pack with Hitec Connector!!! I also have a Venom 1800mAh NiMH but there 7.2volts.. but looking at the Tenergy 11114 6V 1600mAh Ni-MH Battery Pack with Hitec Connector is there actually Receiver Battery Pack, so I don't know if they would would on motors to or not?
    Nikki

6. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Nikki, if you have specific questions about battery packs for your needs, ask them on your LST thread or another appropriate thread.

This thread is about sealing about batteries that may need it, and I think the topic is fairly well addressed by the previous respondents in terms of options, but if you have a specific question about something they have suggested, feel free to inquire about that here.

7. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

Thanks Nick! I wasn't trying to step- on toes ok :blush:
    Nikki!