Radio glitching problem

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by moose421, Feb 10, 2009.

1. moose421

moose421 Member

Here is the problem that I am having. When I run my drive motors, my servos start to glitch. I cured a problem with my shafts, which were binding and bent. Now the shafts are turning freely. With some help from a local club member (Bob H), I solder two capacitors onto the each motor. One from each lead to the motor case. Just a side note I can run the pump and not get the glitching problem. Also my radio is around 16 years old and yes the battery is that old. I measured the voltage and it was 11.05 volts after being charged all night. The radio is a Futaba 4NBL attack, 75mhz channel 66.
    Any suggestions or help would be great.
    Thank You
    Kim

2. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

I experimented on my old Yamato, which was a very electrically noisy ship... first off, are you running the servo wires (any of them) anywhere near the motors? If so, move them as far away as possible and use shielded cable if possible (and make certain the shielding is grounded at one end). That helped a bit.

2nd... put some capacitors across the power and ground leads right at the receiver. You may need to experiment to see what is necessary, and you may need several, some small ones for good frequency response, and some big ones for taking care of any large spikes. Again on my yamato, I ended up, if I recall correctly, that I had one or two 4700uF caps , a 47uF cap and a .47uF ceramic cap... that took care of my noise issues nicely, although it looked kludgey. Barring access to an oscilloscope and some math to actually figure out what is really needed and what is causing the glitching, this trial and error approach worked back then.

3. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

A seperate receiver battery will help if you are running off the esc. I also put a wire from the one motor case to the other and that helped. Get the batteries between the reciever and the motors if possible to act as a shield.

4. moose421

moose421 Member

Thanks for all the help guys. I ended up soldering a capacitor between the motor leads on both motors. Also I added one to the main poer lead coming off the battery. That I found that one of the motor leads had bent over and was barely touching the motor can. As of now there is no glitching while the motors are running.
    Thanks again for the help
    Kim

5. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

Excellent!!!!!!!!!

I likes when that happens!!!!