Rc controller and starter equip

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by totaldestruction, Nov 26, 2010.

1. totaldestruction

totaldestruction Active Member

I was wondering if I could have a few recommendations for a bit of equipment that would include an RC controller, a reciever, some servos, and anything else needed to get that running. use would be varied, but at this point mostly boat related. tips would be nice. Price is a major factor, as is how long it would last, adaptability over time etc. I would like to try and get familiar with rc before i do anything major, like buying or getting a boat at sometime in the future. help appreciated. :D

2. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

Spektrum dx6i with ar6200 receiver. One of the best I've ever used. About $200, works on planes and helicopters also.

3. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

buy the transmitter LAST if at all possible. the tech changes quick enough if you buy early you may miss out on better deals.

for servos, I am a fan of the traxxas waterproof servos. (or more accurately water resistant)

4. Evil Joker

Evil Joker Member

yes i am a fan also of traxxas waterproof servos

5. Pauldoe

Pauldoe Member

Would this answer still be good today, in October 2011? I looked at the DX6I online - can it be used with boats?
    Best
    P
    P.S. - How do I add an avatar to my posts?

6. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

I believe the DXi is still available, and I haven't heard of any reason why it would stop working for boats.

As for avatars, currently you can't. The functionality for them got fouled up at some point. The site admins are working on a solution (same with signatures).

7. Pauldoe

Pauldoe Member

Thanks Nick!
    Kliiiiiiink!
    P

8. KeriMorgret

KeriMorgret Facilitator RCWC Staff Vendor

The avatars and a whole site rebuild with new versions of software is on my list. Going to be attacking it over the next month. Part of it is already built on a new server.

9. Pauldoe

Pauldoe Member

Glad to hear it - thanks, Keri!

10. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

When I ordered my hull I bought everything. By the time I got on the water it had all sat in the shop for over two years. The seals on the kips (wrong material seals had been ordered) were bad, warranty on radio was gone, batteries were old, transmitter batteries were permanently dead..... bottom line wait until you are ready to drive your boat before buying the electronics and such.

11. Pauldoe

Pauldoe Member

Heh - Good advice.
    I thought I had better get some idea on electronics gear before I showed up at the hobby store, though. I haven't really found a step-by-step installation guide for the r/c gear, which is the most daunting part of getting into boats for me (I'd have trouble putting batteries in a flashlight).
    Best,
    P