reciever question

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by crzyhawk, Mar 20, 2007.

1. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

I've got a question regarding transmitter/receiver compatibility. I am currently using a Polk multichannel receiver with my old style Futaba transmitter. While Polk and Futaba seem to be work together, my Polk does not seem to work with Airtronics. I'm a little gunshy on the 2.4 ghz stuff and prefer to keep running standard HF at the moment.

I'm looking to pick up a few new receivers for various ships I am working on, and am hoping there is another alternative to the Polk RX to work with my Futaba equipment. I really dislike my Polk TX (which is why I use my Futaba), but I like the ability to jump frequencies if my own channel is taken, so I carry the Polk TX as a back up in case I need to change freqs.

Do you guys know of any compatible recievers that will meet my needs?

Mike D

2. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

Different manufacturers use positive vs. negative shift. Each is incompatible with the other. I don't know off-hand who uses what, but I've seen charts on the web & I'm pretty sure that Futaba & (old) Airtronics are opposite. Google:

"positive shift" "negative shift" receiver servo

or something like that & you should find the full story.

JM

3. wrenow

wrenow RIP

The Sombra will work with either positive or negative shift, no problem. In fact, I have not found a TX they are incompatible with, other than AM or PPC. Any ordinary TX seems to work, including the Vex. They are also synthesized, and cover both 72 and 75Mhz bands seamlessly.
    The manufacturer is www.sombralabs.com out of Canada. A local distributor (well, local to me) is www.kennedycomposites.com. I have used the Shadow 3 7 channel for some time, and in battle. Pretty easy to Scotchkote and re shrinkwrap. I have a new SL-8, but just got it, so haven't put it in combat yet. You will want at least one of the $15 programmers (cheaper with the radio).

Cheers,