Recommended ESC for a Bismarck 970 ?

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by CURT, Jun 21, 2012.

1. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Anybody running Bismarck with the monster 970 and using a ESC? What are you using and how much are they?
    Thanks

2. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

Check the Mtroniks web site. Viper marine ONLY. Think of them as a Porche . There is no substitute.
    What is the max current draw on that beasty?
    J

3. glaizilla

glaizilla Active Member

I have pushed my 1/96 scale New Jersey with two of the newer 970s on 6v with a single 40amp Mtroniks, I put a 40amp fuse in line for peace of mind. Had no issues with propulsion whatsoever, I just was worried with running the 40amp with a 130+ lbs model battleship. My Hindenburg (H-39) uses an older 970, with a viper 75amp, but to be honest I think it is more than needed, I just prefer the 40/75s to the smaller speed controls, more versatility for me having larger ships.

4. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Thanks guys that is very helpful. I think the motor draws 10 amps no load but what it draws under load I have no idea. I was figuring around the 70 amp range for this motor but if I can get away with a 40 amp that would be easier on the pocket book for me.

5. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

Curt, do you know what the stall current is? That is the big one, The ESC has built in protection but it is always good to know how high the current could spike.
    If you are using a fuse, use a slow-blow fuse, as Tugboat said. If the current spikes to say 80 amps, it will pop a standard fuse.
    J

6. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Get a clamp-on ammeter and slowly raise motor speed to see where it goes. Of course, this mean that you already have an ESC. Or you could clamp on the ammeter and click the throttle switch :)

Another thing to do is to look at the stock power leads and see what gauge they are; that'll tell you the max current the manufacturer intended them to draw.

7. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Thanks Tugs I will check that.

8. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

The best way to figure out your amp draw is to buy a watt meter. I'm amazed - from what I've read on this site these don't seem to be in common use. These are designed for the R/C hobby and will tell you voltage, amps, watts and mAhr. I have two, one which will measure up to 100 amps, all inline so that you see the actual effects of the battery voltage depression under load. No only will it allow you to get the right ESC, you can make sure that you will not over amp your motors and burn them up. I know, since the first time I put the Roanoke on the pond I failed to test amp draw first. I felt pretty stupid when I opened up the ship and the smoke billowed out. Never again.
    Here's one source for watt meters: http://www.radicalrc.com/category/W...-Meters-85 You should be able to find similar ones at any hobby store that has R/C airplane equipment.

9. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Do any of those log the data so you can review it later? I have a nice clamp-on ammeter&multimeter already, I would like something I could toss in the ship, run a pattern of maneuvers and then review the results later, not just peaks.

10. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

The price goes up a bit. There are data logging systems, Eagle Tree being one of the original innovators in this area: http://www.eagletreesystems.com/MicroPower/micro.htm I'm sure there are other companies that also have similar products.

There are also data logging ESCs if price is not a concern: http://www.castlecreations.com/products/hydra_ice.html

11. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I will check out that site. Sounds like it could help me figure this out.
    Thanks RCENGR:)

12. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Once I get my wallet info recovered again, yes I lost my wallet. I will order a ESC for Bismarck. I believe in the 40amp range should work well for a single 970 motor.
    Just need to try and get a good price. I remember I ran the Bis on a single speed adjuster coiled which was easy to install and set and it lasted for years before finally burning out however I haven' t been able to get the exact same type to try it again. I tried a few that seemed the same but they didn't work. I couldn't set coil tab to get the speed right. Either it was way too slow or I had to max it out to get it moving. I found another one sealed up in bubble wrap from Strike I think and I will attempt to hook it up and seee if I can tune Bismarck down. If successful I won't need the esc and save myself money there.