removing self leveling concrete sealer

Discussion in 'Construction' started by McSpuds, Nov 26, 2013.

1. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

Has anybody had the misfortune of having to remove self leveling concrete sealer from their ship?
    I need to know how difficult it is to remove.
    I am thinking of using this as I need to add weight to my Mutsu. I just cringe at the thought of having to remove this stuff later on for some reason...

2. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

in my experience it cures like a hard rubber and can be cut out. Far better than pouring epoxy in.

3. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

You can 'peel' it out using a flat blade knife or a wood chisel.. but it always leaves something behind.

I have 'ground' it out with a dremel and barrel sander and it takes a while. It makes the sealant soft and HOT!!! The barrel sander slings little chunks of molten sealant everywhere and it burns like hell. I bought a face shield at harbor freight for $4 bucks and it was money well invested. Cover your arms too.. or you get sealant and arm hair all wrapped up... then when you clean up.. (screams) hahah! It was so much fun.. yea.. I don't use that stuff anymore.. Anybody want a leftover tube of it?

Biggest reason I stopped using it was the ability to build a light-weight hull and then precisely place weight as needed. Granted it all depends on how big the ship is. If I had a Bismarck then I would not worry too much about using it.. but I wouldn't use it for ALL of my ballast. You need some reserve weight for trimming the ship.
    I now use the two part mix foam (Alumilite Super Foam 320) and put weight down before I pour it OR just put weights around later. It helps keep my hull as LITE as possible. I learned the hard way.. in a DN you need all the reserve buoyancy you can get.. It barely sits above the water even at a scale waterline.

J

4. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

Damit... I was just about to go buy some, but now I am not sure... I am notorious for changing my ships around.. removing that stuff later sounds like a real pain... hmmm

I might add a 20 oz bottle and another set of lifepo4s...:woot:

5. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Why not get a long strip of Lego on either side of the water channel forward of the batteries, and then build a little weight bucket with a Lego bottom, that lets you move it around? :)

6. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

Holy crap, great Idea! Headed to the boys room...:blink: Use the green thin lego plate on top of the water channel.... then make the weight with lead and resin attached to thin lego blocks... can be moved at will and will stay put... crap why didnt I think about this... my sons have tons of lego blocks...
    They have a few less now! :cool:

7. Cannonman

Cannonman Ultimate Hero :P -->> C T D <<--

Heck, I may use legos to mount things in my ship.... just pop them in and pop them out for maintenance!

8. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

Heck, don't think I hav'nt considered that possibility already....... :whistling:

9. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

Next time we go to Disney Land I will stop at the lego shop and get stocked up on those thin plates and 1/8" think blocks...

10. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I've seen places online where you can order specific parts :)

11. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

Legoland................ www.legoland.com

12. Cid

Cid Member

I have use the self leveling and the sealer that was not self leveling, The self leveling sealer is a lot easyier to use. I have not tried to remove it once it has set, but it can be removed fairly easly, within the first couple of days.

13. warspite

warspite Active Member

I use DAP 3.0 self leveling sealant and it works great. To get it out scrape it with a putty knife and grind out the rest with a round stiff wire brush with a chuck to fit in a drill

14. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

I just baught 3 tubes of the DAP 3.0....