Rib Layout on USS Indianapolis

Discussion in 'Construction' started by Gardengnome, May 9, 2009.

1. Gardengnome

Gardengnome Member

I posted this in my build but haven't gotten much response to my question so I figure post it here. The following are the pictures of my rib layout. The hull is 50.5 inches. Which means 7.575 area of impenetrable area. 3 of which are the bow and stern. I could do 17 ribs at 1/4 and one at .3. I did 16 at 1/4 and one at 3/8. I figured the 3/8 would be good for the step. Windows are 3/8 of an inch from the gunwhale. Seems kosher to me. I am thinking of making the 3/8th a .3 so I could add another 1/4 rib near the stern.
    [​IMG]
    The only thing I am really concerned about is the stern..
    The water line is right on the lip of the stern. If I were to cut down to that, it would be a pain I think to skin the ship. So I came up 1/8th like in a stringer to give me some more area to skin with. Here is the picture. Where the lip was not so pronounced and I felt I the skin could go with the contour I brought it down. Is this okay?
    [​IMG]

2. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

I have the same hull. It's cut down to the tight fold at the stern. It's not that hard to sheet back there. Just make sure the balsa is soft and wet it down at that corner. when you bend it it may snap, just put a little CA glue on the crack. It will hold up find an not leak.