Ribs

Discussion in 'Construction' started by Rubberduck, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Rubberduck

Rubberduck New Member

So im trying free hand ribs in between the exsisting ones on the hull sections view of my ship the plans give me 11 ribs. But i need 24. What are the methods behind "guessing" these ribs in and getting a shape that flows :plain:

2. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Haven't tried these methods personally, but from what I've heard they work well:
    If the ribs aren't mounted: Trace the larger of two adjacent ribs onto paper, then trace the smaller using the same centerpoint (so the sides are parallel. Draw a third line halfway between the two existing, and that's your new rib.
    If the ribs are already glued to the keel / subdeck: Take a piece of styrofoam or balsa block & tack it in place between the two ribs. Using a (dismounted) hacksaw blade or other flexible blade, pull the blade up and down the two outside ribs until the hull section is roughly flush. Block sand to perfect the shape. Remove the styrofoam / balsa, section it where you want the rib or ribs, and trace the cross-section onto paper.
    One variation I thought of to the last: Put duct tape between the two ribs, stretched tight. Pour expanding foam or any other substance that starts liquid and hardens into the hull section. Use that hardened material as your cross section. Be sure to put wax paper or some kind of release agent on the ribs or you'll have an ungodly mess.

Hope these suggestions help

3. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Making 24 out of 11 is a lot of interpolation. I'd be tempted to step up to thicker ribs at that point.

4. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

I think he intends to have thinner ribs up towards the bow and stern area so he can accurately depict the pre-refit bulge. thus the need for more ribs?

5. Rubberduck

Rubberduck New Member

Exactly what jstod is saying the problem is pre refit cali has a slight bulge that runs ether side of the ship. And it seems the ends of these bulges always fall in between the ribs. I would think if one end was left with out the support of a rib. A ball bearing would smash it and would be difficult to repair and would be prone to leaking. This is just me thinking about the unknown i really dont know. I figure i shouldnt take a chance so i added more smaller ribs:rolleyes:

6. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Have you figured out how far under the waterline the bulge trouble area is? if its more then 1" then you dont have to worry about it because you can form it with the hard bottom area.

7. Rubberduck

Rubberduck New Member

Well im trying to make a decision the bulge on the plans extends to the bottom of the boat in the profile view. but the ribs in the hull sections view doesnt define the bottom edge its just smooth. But from pictures of the tennessees and colorados. Shows just a square band runs the side of the hull (armor belt). I dont know if that makes sense maybe il get some pictures goin