Robbe motors for 1/96 Yamato

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by BioTronic, Jun 3, 2008.

1. BioTronic

BioTronic New Member

Greetings.

A couple friends and I are working on Yamato and Musashi in 1/96 scale, for a big gun club we hope to start in Norway (yes, there are a few europeans finding the sport fun, too).

Now, I have the plans, started working on the hull, decided what things I want to be able to control, and so on and so forth (It's been in planning stages for about a year), and my main problem at the moment is I'm unsure what kind of motors to get. My local hobby shop said I want nothing smaller than a Robbe 1000 (12V/10A, 2.5x3.8"), but from what I've seen here, it seems you're using much smaller motors than that.

So, is the shop correct, or should I shave off some of the price by using smaller motors?

Robbe motors are easiest for me to get hold of, but cheaper/better/other alternatives are welcome. Just remember that sending stuff from the US to Norway usually doubles the price.

-- Simen

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Are you planning to run all the props by one motor?

3. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Simen
    I have a 96th scale Strasbourg.
    I was running a pair of Wah-Mings direct-drive on 12 volts, and althought they
    did get her up to speed, I have decided to go with something with a little more
    power. I do however want to keep the current down.
    Are you running gear-drive, or direct-drive?
    Also, what voltage are you running?
    Mikey

4. BioTronic

BioTronic New Member

I'm not running at all, I don't even have a finished hull yet! :p

My idea was to have one motor per prop, but everything is still in planning, so nothing's set in stone. If there are good reasons not to, I'd like to hear.