ROMA 2ND SEA TRIALS RESULTS

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Battle Squadron' started by CURT, May 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Hey Roma was conducting speed trials today. The wind was up and blowing across the ship today so I had to use her rudder to steady it on course. The ship ran the 50 ft course between 12 seconds and 13 seconds when the wind was up and the water had chop.

I tried a pair of 1 inch 25 pitch 3 blade, same as on PE. Took forever to move her. THen I Tried my 2 inch spare Yamato props on it. Didn't even bother to run the full course as the Roma was beginning to swamp her bow due to the hight speed. Ok so too fast the.

Think I will order a pair of 4 blade props like Yammie's but smaller, say about 1.25 inch same pitch as Yammie. It should give lots of water flow over the rudder but give the ship better accelleration and decelleration, without going over her speed. The current props on it now are 3 blade 1.5 in 25 pitch and though they get it up to 24 seconds,it takes too long and there is not enough water flow to the rudder from them.

Gunnery trials and pump testing however was successful. I am still getting jitters. I think I found the problem. Near the base of the receiver the antennae wire looks like it's been skinned. Wire is exposed. Got to fix that. Or the jitters will not go away.

Curt [:(]

2. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

[:)]I have a new pair of props on order from Battler's to help provide more wash over the rudder but not give the model excessive speed at the same time. Their the same as Yamato but the same size as the small 3 blade that Roma currently has. With the flat pitch, it is hoped this will resolve that issue. Roma could use a larger rudder additionally. It's using a scale rudder at this time.
    The radio jitters hopefully have been solved. I used heat shrink tubing to insulate the receivor wire from inside interfernce. It was a little glitchy. The receivor had an exposed wire which I repaired with solder and heat shrink to insulate and strengthen the wire near the base of the recevior. Hopefully this clears up the glitchiness.
    [:)]

3. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

My battler's order has arrived and the new props for ROMA are here. 4 Blade 25 pitch but same size as the 3 blade. Trials will commence this week. Hope this works.

4. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I hope so. keep us posted

5. Chris Easterbrook

Chris Easterbrook Well-Known Member

Well I hope it works I would like to see her when she is finished and would love to she her take some pot shots at some allied boats.

6. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

The Next mod would be a different rudder design. The one on it I don't believe is very effective.

7. Chris Easterbrook

Well I hope you get it figured out. Did Chris's Roma turn that bad?

8. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Chris's Roma turned as well as Warspite. This was because of the exceptionally large drag discs and the way they were mounted on an angle far and way from the hull,plus the model was too fast which made it manueuver that much tighter.

Good news! I had ROMA out today for more Speed and turning trials using the NEW PROPS. The ship ran at speed 34 seconds but it turned well and Manuvered well. It worked! By switching from 3 BLADE to 4 Blade I was able to get that extra flow of water from the props over the rudder and the model turned tight and responded to steering commands well. Stopping and starting was good. I found it's best to turn the rudder very slight to get it to start pivoting in the turn then turn it at 35 degrees and it would manuever in a tight turn. Whew! Glad to finally have that resolved. I am sure with a larger rudder and a more VERTICAL style it will improve even more. So bye bye turning barge and Hello ROMA!

Ok so that's 3 ships I managed to get to correct speed with no ESC. 2 models have no extra stuffing tubes or drag props. It's all in the prop balancing with the drive power setup.

Next is Bismarck. But first need to finish PE and install lights in Roma.

I will post some pics of this run later this week.

9. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Oh yea forgot to mention a couple of things. The Glitcheness was still there but now I think it's more of a freq problem in the area. The second time out I had no glitcheness and was able to operate the model at range with no problem. I think a better tramsmitter would help.

The cannons fired no problem. IN fact THE TRIPPLES. blasted the lone plane that was sitting on the catupult on the quarterdeck. I was unpinning the tripples when my friend was creating waves with his PROBOAT AIRBOAT. The ROMA was bouncing around against the shore and I was trying to steady it when I accidentally activated the tripples and saw the prop and the Tail wing shot clean off the plane. The center cannon made a direct hit but the other 2 cannons just missed hitting the crane. The left pontoon was also shot off.

One of the large hoses popped off a QUICK DISCONNECT. The ship still needs more sea time to break in the equipment but overall it performed well today. Now I got to fix or replace the plane.

10. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Some pics of Roma's latest trial run with the new props.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

12. Chris Easterbrook

She pretty Curt when she coming to the mainland?

13. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

End of June

14. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

Ahh this is good to hear.

15. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

[:)]I will miss it for sure. Russell should be pleased. The ship can battle now that the turning issue and speed issue is resolved.

I got to get Bismarck ready so I can get all 4 ships together for the final sail together and get lots of pics of them all on the water and on shore. Should be great.

Curt

16. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

The Axis Parade

17. Chris Easterbrook

Good to hear Curt what a great job you did on her.

18. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Tks Chris. Still trudgeing through the projects. PE is nearing completion as far as outfitting goes. I am still on target to have both of these models ship out end of this Month.

Meanwhile KGV is on it's way and Ralph informed me that my order will be ready soon as his accounts are setup..ie PayPal ect.

Graf Spee, KGV, my 2 Submarines..yes..2.I ordered a 39in Submarine Seaview for static diving RC control.One more to add will be the TYPE VIIIC U-BOAT.

Curt

19. Chris Easterbrook

Hey Curt try not to take anymore on until you get several of you current ones done, you have enough on the go now.

20. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Roma was out this Saturday evening. THe lights worked well but the battery quickly died as I didn't charge it up full. The model sailed around just fine. Still getting radio interference but it's either a bad radio or the freq on the radio is more susceptible to interference. It happens now and then but sometimes it can run without a glitch in the radio and other it would just cut in and out now and then. I think it is from outside freq interference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.