Rotating Cannon for fast gun

Discussion in 'Weapons & Pneumatics' started by absolutek, Jan 1, 2010.

1. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

I'm wondering if anybody has done a rotating cannon for fastgun (IRCWCC or MWC), and has pictures of how they did it? I would like to setup my DKM Gneisenau with a rotating cannon up front in turret B, and a triple stern mount. I've had a few suggestions to try using a sail winch servo, but I've not seen pics of anybodies actual implementation. Seems all the rotating cannons I've been able to find pics or howto's are of the biggun type.
    Hope someone out there can help :)
    --Chase

2. moose421

moose421 Member

I know David R in MWC (fast gun) built rotating guns in his Iron Duke. Look up the pictures in the warship builds. It is under the Iron Duke. He used a retract servo, gears and a chain.

Hope this helps
    Kim

3. Windrider0275

Windrider0275 Member

Chase,

I know a guy who put a rotating gun in his Virbus Unitus a few years back for fast gun. He had the turret up front and would swing it from port to starboard for battling since the rules stated that one gun could only be for each quardrant. He used the same method as big gun skippers do. He made a fifty round magazine for the gun which would allow the bb to go into the breech and then swung it around with a hacked servo and small rubber belt.

It wasn't very effective at the time and he went back to the tried and true gun mounting method of fixed weapon units. I am sure there are examples of the guns on this site or try the North Texas Battle Group guy's site who have a great archive of information on technical stuff you can peruse.

good luck,

Steve

4. Ragresen

Ragresen Member

I believe Daivid R has pulled the rotate out of his ship. I recall him not having it at NATs this last year. They really add weight to the boats and on his ship it took up weight he did not want I think. Most use a servo to push and pull the gun about in a mount.

5. tsolson55

tsolson55 Active Member

I have been using a rotate in my Derfflinger, in the "B" turret. It's an old BC setup. But I bought it from a guy in Fl. Not sure how to add pics yet, but when I figure it out I'll post them.