Rudder dimensions

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by John Bruder, Jul 3, 2016.

1. John Bruder

John Bruder Member

I have several class 6 Pate style rudders from BC that I want to trim for use on a class 5 Iron Duke.

Can anyone send me the dimensions of a class five rudder so I can trim mine to work?
    Length top and bottom and height front and rear would be great.

Thanks, JB

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

As long as the rudder area is legal, you can make the length and height whatever you want. Some people like deep rudders, some like long.

3. John Bruder

John Bruder Member

Hi Tug,

Yes, I agree, but I used the BC class 5 duals on my Barham and they worked real well and I wanted to copy that size by trimming the Pates I already have. I just hate doing all that math stuff.

Thanks for the reply. r/ JB

4. John Bruder

John Bruder Member

Well, with the help of my math major/ teacher wife and some Google foo, I figured the square inch area of the Pate rudders I have and their area is 2.79 square inches each instead of 3 square inches as they should be.

Question, are the older BC class 6 dual rudders undersize? Does anyone know? I guess I don't need to trim much off of these which is nice.

Thanks Tug

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  5. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

Hey John,
    I seem to remember that was the case a while back, the solution at the time was to add a small piece of wood to the trailing edge.

Lou

6. John Bruder

John Bruder Member

Hi Lou,

Or in my case, just remove a little and make them the right size for the ID. Got the drive train installed this weekend. Funny though, my epoxy hardener is so old it looks like molasses and turned the epoxy dark red. Kind of like happened to Chris Au many years back. Looks kind of cool. Now I need to order more old hardener from some place. :)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016