rudder Q

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by rowboat captain, Oct 9, 2007.

1. rowboat captain

rowboat captain Member

I am looking at using gears to control my rudders (dual) the question i have is, can I mount the rudder gears close together instead of on opossit side of the servo gear? I have only sean it set up the the rudder gears inline with the servo gear in the middle. dont think it would make a difference but thought i would ask. I just dont have alot of room in the stern.

thanks

2. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

You can. I ended up doing it that way on my tirpitz using gears from servocity.com. If you would like a picture, I think there might be one in the tirpitz thread in the pictures section

3. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

I went with linkage for my Invincible's rudders instead of gears. I am very, very pleased with it.

Mike D

4. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

Peter used tiny gears in his Scharny. The big drive gear just needs to mesh with the small ones on the posts. It can be farther back. Check out Ron's Lion on Sunday. Also has a small stern. Bring your camera so you can steal the good ideas.

5. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

The trick with gears is to make sure your servo mount won't flex at all. Any flex can allow the gears to slip a little under thrust, and then one or both of your rudders can be pointing strange ways...

6. rowboat captain

rowboat captain Member

Will do plan on taking a ton of photo. will bring the hull along so the guys can give me pointers also.