RX Question

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by HMCS, Sep 12, 2008.

1. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

The dx6 rx has two antenna. How do you guys mount the whip antenna? One whip to each one,or just to one and leave the other be?

2. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

The dx6 doesn't need a whip antenna. Those are tuned for 72 or 75 mhz, the dx6 runs on 2.4 ghz. Put a whip antenna on there and who knows what'll happen. You could get better reception, you might invent antigravity, or you may even release enough radiation to roast a TV dinner.

3. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

Hmmm, interesting but I'll pass lol. What a brain fart that was. So a follow up question, is it better to just have the antenna in the hull or should I try and run it up through the deck/ss??(or as far as it will reach as they're quite short)

4. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Try to get it as close to the deck as possible, you do not want it below the waterline if possible. Also metal will block the signal, so make sure none is in the way.

5. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Yes, 2.4ghz cannot pass through metal or water. You want to mount it to the deck, or maybe even stick it inside a hollowed-out section of superstructure. Several people in the WWCC have had problems with the receiver and transmitter de-syncing in the middle of combat, usually with debilitating results. I wonder if that's due to water or metal, or some other issue?

6. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

Thanks guys for the help. I'm going to try and get it mounted inside the superstructure,keep it away from water and metal as much as I can.

7. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Usually a de-sync problem is caused by the receiver being powered off the main battery. What happens is the servo's, or usually pump motor turning on causes the battery output voltage to drop below the required voltage of the receiver for a few micro seconds, which then causes the receiver to de-sync. Spektrum sell a 4700 mf capacitor with the male connector attached for $6 which helps prevent this problem. It can happen using a 4.8 volt receiver battery pack also, if you are using a high torque servo.

Visit this site