scale conversion

Discussion in '1/96 Battlestations' started by the frog, Feb 26, 2008.

1. the frog

the frog Member

When Mikey and i went to have the free plans printed at kinkos they could not get the plans to print in an enlarged scale. What we did and what we will always do is as follows.
    FIrst we have the plans printed as they are on the thumb drive.
    TO use the bearn as an example. When the plans were printed they came out with a length of 28 inches.We knew the bearn was 600 feet so we divided 600 by 8 to get the 1/96 scale inches 75.We then divided this by 28 inches to get % of enlargement needed.We punched 268% in to the copier and got a perfect 75 inch print. This method can be used on any plan in any scale.

2. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

Just to be sure I understand you, you're saying you had trouble printing the plans that were already scaled to 1/96? That should not have been a problem if the image was correctly scaled to 1/96...

However, as you discovered, printing out the original plans and rescaling them in the blueprint copier works fine, too. It just costs a little bit more.

Carl

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I don't understand why it was a problem, they printed out correctly at the blueprint place. And those are ones Mike did, so they came out right for him, and for me, at two different places. Maybe the Kinkoes people messed it up somehow? If you pull up the plans in a drawing program that lets you measure things, the hull comes out to ~75 inches, which is what it should. Not sure where the error was for you guys :(

4. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

I was talking with Mikey D the other night about when they went to get the plans printed. The problem was Kinkos, not the plans. Not a problem...just make sure the printer does not scale the original drawing. :)

If you did have to scale a set of plans though, such as a set of 144th plans to 96th scale, then the technique in the first post should work great. :)

5. EricMA

EricMA Member

Okay so if I want to print a set of the free plans all I have to do is tell the printer what scale they are in and there shouldn't be a problem. but if there was I could use the method listed above. staples has a blue print printer so I could go there.