scratch building, filling out the bottom.

Discussion in 'Construction' started by funkymonkey, Apr 3, 2013.

1. funkymonkey

funkymonkey Member

Bringing this up cause I havent seen it really discussed elsewhere. When scratch building a wood hull, I see there are various choices in filling out the bottom prior to glassing. I have started one (the eddie) which is getting balsa between the ribs. Laying out strips would be amazing but time consuming. Maybe I would reserve that for the litoro.
    I come to my main Interest. Foam. Cutting pink foam between the ribs and sliding hot wire down the sides to contour. My concerns are with flotation/buoyancy. Was thinking this would be ideal for Iowa, easier to shape and probably cheaper too. but like I said will the extra buoyancy from the foam become an issue or too small to be noticeable.
    Please discuss.

2. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

keep in mind that with foam a variant of the lost foam method is available (I did a further "lost balsa" variant, I would foam next time). fill in gaps bet ribs with foam. contour properly. reinforce with fabric/resin, scrape out foam.

3. funkymonkey

funkymonkey Member

kind of what i had in mind, then use a little leveling cement to channel water to center on angles.while adding some weight.

4. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

dont use actual cement....

5. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

I use fiberglass board from McMaster-Carr to make the top and side(s) of the water channeling (maybe 1/4 tall). If it is a scratch built ship, I then turn it upside down and fill it with foam. Sand to the outside shape and fiberglass the outside.
    Not a fan of open areas (removing anything) as water will eventually find its way in.
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-f...ts/=m6rzqd
    Electrical-Grade Fiberglass (GP03) 1/16" Thick, 12" X 24"