SELL OR TRADE Bismarck Hull

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell and Trade' started by jstod, May 21, 2012.

1. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

I am looking into either selling or tradeing my orginal Bismarck hull from Swampworks (now strikemodels). I baught it as a kit but am planing on useing the turrets and pieces of superstructure on the scratch built Bismarck hull I am currently working on. I still have the original plans i believe but the new version from Strike are significantly better.
    Work done:
    I made an attempt to cut the windows in the hull when i first got it but i was still young and rushed it so some of the windows are to large and some may be to small.
    Sorry for lack of pictures but if it seems to generate some interest I will go pull it out from my parents basement and take some

2. bear23462

bear23462 Active Member

What are you including in your sale and for how much? When you were initially building Bismarck, was it for Big or Fast gun? If the cuts into the fiberglass are that bad, why not just reglass the hull and start over? If you are trying to generate interest, I would recommend posting a few pictures.

3. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

I am open to negotiation as to how much or a possible trade. I have it stored in my parents basement while I'm out at school so earliest I can even start attempting pictures would be this weekend. the kit originally included the superstructure main and secondary turrets some stuffing tube materials, a prop, and drive shft. large motor, sub-deck (in my opinion its not a very good one), main deck, water tight container kit, and various other minor pieces. Of all these things the only things I am not really willing to part with are the main and secondary turrets.

As for re-glassing the hull, one of the reasons I decided to start building out of wood is that i really dis-like working with fiberglass.
    I will get pictures up as soon as possible though

4. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Pics would probably help.

Ken - If the windows are fully out, reforming the hull is not a quick or necessarily simple task. It can be quite a hassle, and depending on the materials used, cost almost as much as buying a new hull. I rebuilt a decent amount of a Moltke hull (see my build thread for pics) and it is not a task I would probably care to do again, particularly not on a larger ship. Not trying to dissuade anyone from buying this and doing the same thing - it can be done - just pointing out that it is one of those projects that you may find causes questioning the value of the time and effort vs the cost savings.

5. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

I am not looking to get anywhere near what I paid for the kit. In fact I would prefer to trade. I am looking for possibly a transport in some stage of development so I can get it up and running quickly while the large main build is progressing.

6. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

I am not sure why re-glassing the windows was such a problem. I did it on my ship for almost no cost at all. It was easy and took 4 hours total.. far less time than making a wood hull. I already had west systems and in the end only used 3 full pumps of epoxy, and some fiberglass I spent $6 on to do it. It isnt hard at all AND you get the added benefit of thickening the existing ribs that you have. If you are interested in how to do this, let me know.

7. NickMyers

It wasn't hard or a significant problem, just was a task I don't care to do again and it probably wasnt worth the time and money invested vs simply buying a new hull. I didn't have the West Systems already and took longer as I opted to build the paperthin hull up to around the same thickness as some of Strike's hulls and it required a few layups over the course of a couple days.

8. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

If you didn't have West systems then for sure had to spend 60 bucks more. I also had a paper thin swampworks hull so I know what you are talking about. I only put one sheet inside and it worked just fine. I did look at your thread and I did it the same except I just used the tape and then layed the side of the hull on a towel to conform/hold the tape in place. Most of the hull was smooth and no edge was detectable where the windows had been. I only covered the windows and didnt realize you had re-fiberglassed the hull to that extent. I didnt bother with that although the other night I added a sheet of fiberglass to the bottom of the hull and it took about 1.5 hours to sand, lay out the glass, put on the epoxy, smooth edges when dry, and then add a second coat.

I am just saying that to say its less work to make a wooden hull ship vs. laying a little fiberglass on the inside of the hull wouldn't be very accurate. I would encourage John to fix the windows and invest all the time saved (instead of building a wooden hull)... battling on the water.

9. NickMyers

Oh definately building a wood hull would be a lot more work than fixing the fiberglass hull. I was looking at it from a 'fix a hull vs buy a new fiberglass hull' approach. Fixing the hull would for sure get him on the water faster too.

10. bear23462

bear23462 Active Member

Nick, I can see where re-glassing the hull could be difficult pending on the individuals experience on working with fiberglass. I followed your thread on your Moltke build. I thought you did a bang up job on her. For me, I would tend to think that reglassing would be easier that cutting a wooden hull. My first hull was an unarmed AO, that I tried making from scratch. It was a miserable failure. Needless to say, I bought a fiberglass hull and am sold on them.

11. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

I cannot stress how much I do not like fiberglass.....plus on the water faster is not an issue for me this build is not about instant gratification more so bout doing it all completely from ground up.

12. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

If you can post pics of the hull and show the windows that were cut out it , it may not be as bad as you think. I know what it's like to have a thin Swampy Bismarck hull but I never bothered to layer it up any and it's held up very well for nearly 20 years. I haven't had the hull fail in any way. The orignnial swampy hull is not as accurate as the strike version or battlers' for that matter but it's not that bad and can be worked on to make a very workable hull.

13. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

I will try to have pics up this weekend at the earliest. The hull is stored at my parents house so i need to go back and take the pics then read the threads about posting pics.

14. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

15. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Ok that did not work. can some one point me in the direction of the thread on how to post pics? I know i have seen it but cant find it.

16. NickMyers

17. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Ok the Pics are up under file manager if anyone wants to see them while I continue to try to figure out why they wont come up here.
    To see them for now go to file manager and if you look at the date on the right it will say 6/17/2012. its just until i get this stuff sorted out.

Current promblem is when I go to add a pic to this post it wont go past the little icon that say "users" and the other two.

18. NickMyers

After you doubleclick the users folder, it can take a while before it loads the subfolder. There is a lot of content in it (that shouldn't be, but people dont follow directions).

19. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

The list of them if you want to have a looksy

DSC_0134.JPG
    6/17/2012 3:01:28 PM
    image/jpeg
    3,671 KB
    DSC_0135.JPG
    6/17/2012 3:01:07 PM
    image/jpeg
    4,364 KB
    DSC_0136.JPG