Ship Data

Discussion in 'Research and Development' started by tgalx3, Jul 4, 2024.

1. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

Does anyone else keep logs and data for their ships? I read it in an old hull busters newsletter. It seems pretty handy when I remember to update it.

Two part post:

I put in a new pump for the Bismarck and I was able to go from 100% full to ~0% full of water in 1:43. Not sure if that's good or not. I don't have anything to compare it to. There is a lot of volume in there so to my inexperience pump eye, that seems pretty good.

2. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

eh, last time I did testing using that metric, I measured the amount of water that was in the hull when she got sinky.

then I measured how much time it took to empty it.

me and @notSoGnarly went with a different approach after that. we took the pumps out, and did a whole setup with flowmeters and next round, we're gonna do power measurement devices.

turns out that a 2400kv inrunner 3s brushless with a 1 unit restrictor can do some really stupid stuff.

a 1.5 unit restrictor is even more so.

but yeah to answer your question, yes we do. at least certain systems.

3. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

A bench test pump gives you comparison data between pumps. It doesn't necessarily tell you how well the pump will do in your specific ship with your specific water channeling and your specific pre-pump screening arrangement. But it will generally let you know that pump A is superior to pump B and C.

For a while I used to keep track of which batteries I ran by labeling the batteries and writing down their voltage levels and how many amp hours went back into them and all that jazz. I gave up on that after my first year because it was basically pointless information. I learned what I needed to know to create rules of thumb for boat building and power system sizing and I haven't revisited it. In today's hobby the choice is either excessive battery or excessive lead ballast and I'll always choose option 1.

diceman42 and Anvil_x like this.
  4. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

spicy working ballast always trumps lame non-working ballast, for sure.

tgalx3 likes this.