Ship List Information

Discussion in '1/96 Battlestations' started by Anachronus, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

So what catagories would be needed? Here is my tentative list.
    Class Name
    Number in Class
    Date
    Primary Guns - Number and Size
    Secondary Guns - Number and Size
    Torpedo Tubes with a notation for Submerged tubes
    Armor (Balsa thickness)
    Model Speed
    Model Length (o/a)
    Model Width (max beam)
    Model Weight
    Number of Shafts
    Number of Rudders
    Pump Capacity(?)

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    A.

2. Anachronus

^^ I seem to have forgotten Nationality.

Perhaps faction could be included...but that should be be obvious.

3. Robert Clarke

Robert Clarke Member

Date - is this Lauch date? Also, the original Battlestations specified that the ship had to be in service between 1905-1945, not launched. Am I right? Does this mean that really old, slow and ugly battleships could be built if they were used during WWI?

Secondary Guns - original Rules state any gun above 3" (76mm). This means that ships like Bismark, with separate AA and surface secondaries will have more than 1 caliber allowed.

Torpedo Tubes- Some torpedo tubes were fixed, but above the waterline. Perhaps we need a notation for that too.

4. Robert Clarke

Robert Clarke Member

Me wrong. Wishful thinking....

5. Anachronus

For single purpose gun mounts it would be easy enough to list then as tertiaries. If a mount was intended as an AA gun it would not be listed. The US 5"/38 dual mounts would count as secondaries.

Maybe a footnote for the types of tubes? I don't mean to do a total history just a brief note.

The current state of the rules covers ships launched between 1905 and 1945. So if it was a predreadnaught launched in 1905 it would be on the list. Not really sure what to do about a class of ships launched over a number of years that straddle the line. I prefer excluding such.

6. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Anachronus: first, thanks for taking this on. It's going to take some time, and if you have questions, we are all here with references in hand ;)

As for what to include on the list... I'd start making it with ships that we know for a fact are definately "in bounds". There is plenty of time after we get a working shiplist to haggle between ourselves over ones that straddle the boundaries. Are you going to do it in Word, or whichever format? I have the ruleset in Word because it's convenient, but I expect anything workable will be good. It'll probably wind up posted on this forum as a "sticky", in some form or another.

Thanks again for volunteering, I'll do anything I can to help.

7. Anachronus

I think between all the posters on this board we should have the reference books covered well. I was going to basically base everything on Conway's, which seems to be the bible of the industry as it were, and they have good coverage of even the hypotheticals.

I have not yet decided between Word and Excel. Probably will use the former as it is a bit less hassle. Will experiment first.

From what talk I have heard I guess I should be starting with the WW2 ships and work backwards. Probably with a smaller navy...Germany or France.

Cruisers, Battleships then Destroyers and Submarines? Any preference on priorities?

8. Tugboat

Sounds like you've got it covered :)

9. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I would recommend Excel, if you know how to use it or can learn from the help files. My brother made a scoresheet for WWCC battles in excel. It has entries for individual models, individual skippers, separate pages for each battle day, and several pages devoted to calculating yearlong statistics. He can enter the hole counts from each ship, along with performance notes such as sunk, surrendered, DNR, or cargo points, and the scoresheet automatically calculates which team won the sortie. It also automatically calculates statistics for the sortie and updates each skipper and ship's yearly statistics. He can then view the master ship/skipper page and sort by class of ship, tonnage, number of times sunk, various damage statistics, and win/loss ratios.

Of course it took a long time and a lot of learning to create, but now he has a template for future years and its incredibly easy to navigate. All we need now is a laptop to bring to the pond, and we'll never have to worry about arithmetic errors again.

As for what data to include for each ship, I'd like to see a little more about each weapon. For guns, it would be nice to see the layout. For example, two quadruple turrets vs four twin turrets. For torpedoes, I'd be nice to know their layout and placement. For example, a quad torpedo launcher mounted centerline on the main deck, vs four triple torpedoes wing-mounted (side by side) through the side of the hull, vs a single launcher mounted in the bow below the waterline. Of course, that is a lot to ask for, so please think of it as a wish-list item, not a necessity for survival.

10. Robert Clarke

Robert Clarke Member

Hi,
    I have a comma-delimited data file which contains data for the ships. I also have a program which creates the file by parsing the HTML.
    I could update the program to include the new columns (empty of course) and eliminate the columns not in use, or not applicable to the 1/96 ruleset. I could also set it to caluclate the model length and width.
    At the very least it could save you from typing the ship names.
    If you are interested contact me off-line.

11. Anachronus

That would be a dandy starting point.

Thanks.

12. Anachronus

I had thought about including information on torpedo reloads as I can see that could be an issue. As for tube location that could be indicated by a couple of letters. cl = centerline, su = submerged, b = bow, etc.

13. Anachronus

Checking with the old Battlestations rules I have come up with a weight conversion table. The old standard seems to take the tonnage of the real ship and divide by 395. (actually 394.95 or some such) Should start working on the spreadsheet this coming weekend.

Pax,
    A.

14. Mark

Mark Active Member

the formula for converting the actual ship weight to scale is as follows:
    (actual weight in tons)x(2204/ton)x(1/96)^3= 1/96 scale model weight
    P.S. ship weight is usually given in metric tons, not short tons (2000lbs)

15. Anachronus

Thanks, that is quite helpful.

Being a history/archives type let me make sure I put it in a mode I understand
    Ships actual displacement multiply by 2204
    that is multiplied by the cube of 1 divided by 96?
    Or do you divide the whole thing then cube the result?

Pax,
    A.

16. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

Don't know if it helps or not, but here's the calculation used by the old Battlestations group (in the Ship Registry web pages):

scale weight = ( (displacement in metric tons) * 2204) / 884736

The divide by 884736 is equivalent to multiplying by (1/96)^3, but is a little easier to type. [:)]

Carl

17. Robert Clarke

Robert Clarke Member

I will plug this into the program I made and generate the numbers.

18. Anachronus

It does...some of us liberal arts types are mathematically challenged. ;)

19. Anachronus

Do we have speed table decided upon so that I can include the scale speed in the list? I have a column for speed and that is all that needs to be added. I have done the list for the High Seas Fleet save for the speed and need information on rudders. Conway's lacks it.

Pax,
    A.

20. Tugboat

I haven't heard anyone screaming that the Big Gun speed chart is too slow, so we can go with that. If it's not satisfactory, then we can always change it later. Who's got a copy of the chart? I'll get busy with rudder pictures. Got to get the scanner hooked up (my main PC doesn't have a serial port :p

Anyone else wish to scan in rudder drawings of their plans? If you do, please put some inch markings so someone using it can build accurately :)