SJS Von Der Tann kit build

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by vicious p, Jun 27, 2024.

1. vicious p

vicious p Well-Known Member

Having enjoyed building and battling my SJS Malaya kit I had to have another one. I decided on VDT because I wanted a semi smallish ship I could loan out and have less boat to patch while also having 3 guns with decent speed and turning. I wanted to do a detailed build thread like I did on Malaya but progressed too quickly. The ship has been float tested but not ran in the water yet. All systems check out and these guns may fire slightly better than my last ones. Ether way thrilled to get it on the water and battle since I had to stay home from NATS this year due to a family emergency.

IMG_7367.jpeg IMG_7382.jpeg IMG_7413.jpeg IMG_7423.jpeg IMG_7424.jpeg IMG_7425.jpeg IMG_7433.jpeg IMG_7436.jpeg IMG_7445.jpeg IMG_7446.jpeg IMG_7447.jpeg IMG_7450.jpeg IMG_7460.jpeg IMG_7461.jpeg IMG_7497.jpeg IMG_7498.jpeg IMG_7500.jpeg IMG_7575.jpeg

I still have a few more items left. Barrels have been drilled for pins they just need to be added, waterline tape and more details but she’s pretty much ready to blast balsa.

I really love these kits, I got the kit from shipping box to this point in less than a month just putting in 10minutes to an hour in the evenings after I put the kids to bed. If I had everything in hand and cannons built ahead of time this could be accomplished even faster. Kudos Will at SJS.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2024
  2. vicious p

Dummy barrels added to main armament last night. Next post should include internal layout and possibly some water shots and video testing cannons. IMG_7594.jpeg

3. vicious p

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QIhWo3Vn5XU

First test run in “water”and shooting guns with gas in boat versus with a compressor. Bow sidemount needs some work I think I may just drop the piston a hair and see if that helps since my magnet may be a hair lower than I would like it. Or I’ll move it up ether way, I’ll get it sorted. I’m very happy with the other guns.

I would like to weigh it since I added around 3lbs of lead to get it to sit where I wanted in the water. All it really needs now is the gun tweaked a bit and barrel armor, drag disc added and that’s a wrap.

4. vicious p

War paint added. Guns have been worked on more and seem good ready for october.

IMG_8075.png IMG_8079.jpeg