Slab Sided Mogamis!

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell and Trade' started by klibben, Nov 16, 2008.

1. klibben

klibben Member

Sean Hert is taking orders for his slab sided mogami hulls.... like the one my Kumano is built out of (look in the photo section).

He might also have molds for the primary and secondary guns. (NOT the same as my Kumano)

Now, due to winter being here he won't be able to make this until March at the earliest - so this is a preliminary order, we are just looking to see who is seriously interested in getting one.

Cost will depend on cost of materials at the time, but he is estimating:

Hull : $75-$100

Turrets and Secondaries would probably be a few bucks.

*Note, I'm informed that the hull and turrets will also work for a Tone, but I cannot guarantee that.

So let me know if you are interested!

*** UPDATE: Sean has looked into it further, and with the rising cost of materials he needs a a MINIMUM of three orders! Mike has already ordered one, so he needs at least two more people to order (for spring) or else Mike doesn't get one! ***

2. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

There are two major differences between the Tones and the Mogamis. The first is the bulges, the Mogamis have much more complex bulge shapes then the Tones do. So, if the hulls are slab sides, they are actually closer to a Tone then a true Mogami (or Suzuya which has different bulges then the Mogami does).

The second difference is in the stern area. The Tones stayed wide farther back then the Mogamis did. This should be able to be countered by "spreading" the aft section just a little bit, as the difference is not major, according to the drawings I have.

As for the main turrets, the Tone and Mogami both carried unique variants of the E1 mount originally designed for the Maya. Shape is reported to be approximately identical. The Tone's mount was designated the E3 mount. I assume that the Mogami carried an E2 mount, but I can't confirm. The major difference is the roller path...ie the internal diameter of the barbette. Physcially, I can't find any information that indicates the turrets looked any different...so for our purposes, assuming he is making the 20.3 cm (8") and not the 15.5 cm (6.1") turrets they should be good to go for either class (or for the Takao class for that matter)

As for the secondaries, both Tone and Mogami carried the same twin 5" 40 cal DP guns.

I'll definitely be picking one up in the spring to get started on the Chikuma. If I find that I can't modify that stern section, I'll just build her as the Mogami with the flight deck...but I really don't believe I'll have great difficulty in spreading out that stern a little bit.

All in all, the Mogami class ship is probably the best cruiser you can build for just about any format. It's got lots of options, and speed to burn for those groups that count the speed. She's got plenty of torpedoes too, should your club use them. Twin rudders make for good turning potential...she's simply the total package.

3. klibben

klibben Member

Yes, they seem to be one of the best all around ships for all clubs and formats. The slab side makes them MUCH easier to side, and mine is a very well done hull. Easy enough for rookies to build, but still fun and deadly enough for veterans.... not to mention one of the nicest looking Jap ships out there...

I knew there had been a few inquiries lately about mogamis (and even a few offers on my own), so Sean decided he'd produce a few more...

4. crzyhawk

The slab sided hull is really the big selling point for me to try and make it work for the Chikuma. Most of our ships are "semi scale" anyways, so might as well make life as easy as possible.

5. Ragresen

Ragresen Member

Wish I had the money right now. I have my burrent ship to finish and a plug to finish work on before I can spend money on another ship. :(

6. Bryan

Bryan Member

If anyone wants a "Bulged" IJN Mogami with 4 Main turrets and FG Decks Let me Know, I have a little time and can slowly make hulls all winter.

If ordering more than one there is a savings on shipping also.

http://ontarioattackforce.multiply.com/photos/album/18/Items_For_Sale_By_Bryan?replies_read=5#3

http://ontarioattackforce.multiply.com/photos/album/18/Items_For_Sale_By_Bryan?replies_read=5#4

http://ontarioattackforce.multiply.com/photos/album/18/Items_For_Sale_By_Bryan?replies_read=5#5

Just to give everyone a option, the mold is one of Ralph's
    that I now have.[:D]

7. crzyhawk

Kenny, any idea when your source will be able to start producing the Mogami hulls? I'm looking forward to getting the Chikuma started.

8. mighty_yamoto

mighty_yamoto New Member

Yea i want to get a Mogami in the shipyard

9. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Drat and I ordered the Iowa Full kit .

10. pba

pba Active Member

Since it is slab sided it cannot have the stringer but i think it is worth it for the ease of skinning. Also the slab side is the only one that can go 36kts as a six inch cruiser. I think the mogami is the best cruiser on the water followed by the suffren

11. crzyhawk

Completely agree with you on that Phil. The Mogamis are just evil.

12. Bryan

Bryan Member

Not Evil......just miss-understood........:p

13. klibben

klibben Member

Sorry folks, but the builder has been overrun with work this summer and has decided that he is still too busy to do them. Looks like the batch will never be built.

14. Bryan

Bryan Member

I have the Ralph Coles Mold, more curvy but more scale like, if your interested......

I will try getting some molded up before winter hits and my molding slows way down.....o_O

http://ontarioattackforce.multiply.com/photos/album/18/Items_By_Bryan

:woot: