slow-moving servo- needs lube?

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by Kotori87, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

After my Spahkreuzer sunk in the LMS last year, I flushed out all the electronics with Corrosion-X, a product similar to WD-40 that is designed to displace water and prevent corrosion. Everything is working right now, but for some odd reason my firing servo is moving slowly. If I move it through its full range of motion several times it speeds up to normal, but if I let it sit still for a while then it slows down again. Has anybody seen this before? Any ideas for fixes?

2. Mark

Mark Active Member

Yeh, use mouse valves:)

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

How long a delay will make it rotate slowly again? When you throw the lever (or hit the button), does the servo move slowly, but go all the way to firing position, or does it go slowly to something short of firing position, working it's way to full travel and speed?

Do you have an ammeter to test current draw?

4. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

A delay of 15 minutes (maybe less, I haven't precisely measured) is enough for it to return to slow-motion. When I throw the lever, it travels slowly all the way to the firing position. Unfortunately I have neither an ammeter nor the servo in question with me at the moment, as both are at home while I'm at college for the quarter.

Fortunately it's an incredibly cheap Hitec standard servo, which I can replace for under $10. But if I can save it without spending $10, then hey, thats $10 more for armor, paint, and ammo.

5. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

Try taking the servo apart... perhaps it has a bunch of junk in it. The top of a servo is just gears, pins, & grease.. check that is ok & change the grease.