SMS Mackensen

Discussion in 'Ship Plans' started by Hovey, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Hovey

Hovey Admiral (Supporter)

I haven't had any luck finding plans for this ship, anyone know where I might find a set?

2. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

I've never seen them, and I am something of a plans addict. Svelte looking ship from the model I have seen.

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Could one modify VDT or Seydlitz frames and go for it with a good set of line drawings? It's an intriguing ship, but the rule sets that I'm under don't allow non-completed (or, non-launched for Battlestations!) ships.

4. Anachronus

I'd use a Hindenberg as the starting point. That was the last HSF Battlecruiser actually complete and would be closer than those other two.

5. Hovey

Yeah, she is basically a lengthened Hindenburg, but her secondaries are in the hull, she has twin rudders (instead of tandem inline), and just makes the cut for 5 units so she will get a larger rudder area than a Hindenburg. Her completed hull was launched but do to war shortages she was never finished. So she isn't theoretical, just not commissioned and hence not legal for fast gun. However, my club voted to allow her for non-sanctioned battles (translation pretty much all of our battles).

6. Anachronus

She's a bit beamier too, but not much. If you can find plans for the Hindenberg just rescale them a bit.
    *EDIT*
    On another look at the line drawings it seems to me that Mackensen is a bit taller too. Derflingers have 1 row of scuttles at the stern but Mackensen has two.

7. Hovey

And Mackensens bow is a much steeper angle than Hindenburg's. I don't think they are so much taller as Defflinger/Lutzow/Hindenburg class have about the same deck height at the bow but they slowly drop down as one moves aft, leveling off around the superstructure. Mackensen seems to have a level deck and is probably about 4' higher at the stern.

A Hindenburg might be a starting point but I will have to modify most, if not all, of the ribs to adjust for the differences. I was hoping to find plans both to save time and to avoid anyone saying I just made something up.

8. Superb Cat

Superb Cat Member

She is basically a smaller version of the Ersatz Yorck, I've got plans and the hull for the yorck. Look here for the mackensen. Sorry its so long, hope its OK to post the site
    http://www.google.com.au/images?hl=...CDEQsAQwAw
    Shows no frames but its a smaller version of the Yorck

9. Superb Cat

Superb Cat Member

OOPS, That didn't work, just type in SMS Machkensen in google images and it'll come up for a look see.

10. Hovey

Yeah, I think the Ersatz Yorck is a better starting point than a Hindenburg. Still some changes to make but probably a lot less. Out of curiosity where did you get your plans from and how are they?

11. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

12. Superb Cat

Superb Cat Member

I've had to draw up a few of the hull plans I have on tracing paper (1000 wide by roll tolength) Yorck I made plans from some smaller images for reference and using plans of the Seydlitz to help get bow flare and stern shape right for the frames as well as checking out as many photo's of the incomplete hull on the slipways before being broken up. They reflect the Conways publication side drawing with all the data on length, beam, draft, rudders and placement of turrets. The bow is really cool, that semi Icebreaker shape with a tube in it. I may not have it perfect but she is about 95% right with length beam and draft dead on.

13. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Alright, there is a fellow with about 117 pages (not scaled proper, all on A3 paper) available for copying from the german archives. The cost is outside what I am willing to spend just to build a new set of combat useful plans from. He wants ~320euros for the copying from archives and shipping. If there is sufficient interest and people willing to risk some smaller amount of money to get ahold of them (there is always a chance the paper will be useless given the size), I will transfer them to digital and cad up a reasonable hull form/superstructure for our purposes available to those who risked $ on the endeavour. If there is interest, those of us interested can work out the details in private, but let me know..