SMS Sachsen build

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by Tugboat, May 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

It's been a little while since I was building something on here! I'm almost done with my refit of HMS Invincible (old,old, boat that first battled in the mid-90's), and That brings me to three battle-ready ships in the shop at one time!! (Invincible, Evstafi, and Lil Scharnie) I wanted to build something that would let me go Axis with a few more units than Lil Scharnie brings to the table, as in the Southeast US, the Allies vastly outnumber the noble Axis... And about the time that I was thinking about it, a friend was lamenting to me that he had a Baden that he might sell, and that there were many more Axis than noble Allied captains in his area. We solved each other's problem for the low, low, cost of shipping! My Malaya hull went out to him, and the Baden hull came to me, arriving yesterday (for the record, he chose Fedex, and I, UPS, and Fedex won the race by a day). Now, there are already 2 Baden-class ships in the area, so naming it Baden or Bayern was out of the question. Someone on FB suggested that there had been 2 more ships of the class planned but not built; so mine became SMS Sachsen. I opened the shipping box yesterday and will commence work this weekend and that's when you'll see pics :)

NickMyers and irnuke like this.
  2. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

Not surprised FedEx won. Just got a package from everybody's favourite hobby store in Hong Kong to my door in two days.

Looking forward to pics.

NickMyers likes this.
  3. GeekSpeed

GeekSpeed Active Member

This should be good. I had kind of contemplated scratch building a Württemberg, but I didn't get anywhere (ship OCD kicked in).

NickMyers likes this.
  4. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

I was going to build a Bayern class, but I think now a QE is in order.

5. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

I wonder...did you count my Baden as one of the two? 'Cause mine is semi-retired due to a gremlin infestation. If I ever break that boat out of mothballs, it's going to go back to MAG throttles, etc. (Since that was the last refit that actually worked well).

6. NickMyers

Ok, you've had a day, its a build thread and...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  7. NickMyers

FedEx is my go-to for shipping when I can't pack it in a USPS flat-rate. Tends to be cheaper and a day faster than UPS.

8. Tugboat

Jeffy, I was counting Brian K's and Christopher K's... If I count yours, we could have all 4 of the class on the water...

9. Tugboat

I was away at an SCA event this weekend, but managed to get in a little boat work! The subdeck has been fitted to the hull! This was made easier by using Herr Greg's CNC stainless subdecks as templates.
    [​IMG]
    Going to lay out the cut lines for the interior shortly. I will be running flat packs of LiFe batteries (16AH cells) that the wonderful and generous David Ranier GAVE me. In return I won't shoot his nice Japanese cruiser. That's not really giving him much, as I don't remember having ever CAUGHT it where I could shoot it, but it's the thought that counts, right? :)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2017
    Panzer likes this.
  10. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Tugboat, give my brother a kick next time you see him. Big Scharnie needs a little paint and a little plumbing and she's ready to kick butt, he just needs to put in the effort.

@irnuke, have you tried putting a few plastic army men in there to chase out the gremlins? My submarine is having so many breakdowns and failures right now that I'm about to order a big box of them. One for every motor and controller in the entire boat. We never used to have problems, until NR came through and told us to take down all the army men, chicken bones, and other good luck charms. Now I can't hardly change a light bulb without a fan blowing up or half our vital instrumentation and control systems popping fuses.

11. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Try strangling your Sonar guys. One time we were scheduled to pull into a liberty port (gasp! Missile boats NEVER get those). About 2 weeks prior to our getting there, suddenly every motor on the ship started eating carbon brushes like they were belt sanders instead of motors. We were going crazy tearing down first the Port motor, cleaning & replacing the brushes, then instantly having to do the same to the Starboard counterpart, then back to the Port one again. We cleaned our motor-generator sets (a 12+ hour evolution for the rest of you guys info) EIGHT times in 6 days. Finally found out the cause: Sonar decided to do some of their "in port" maintenance while underway so they'd have more liberty time. The atmosphere contaminants in the cleansers they used had an... unfortunate effect on electric motors.

You may want to investigate what other departments may have done differently recently

12. Panzer

Panzer Iron Dog Shipwerks and CiderHaus

Any updates or pics of this Build???? You have a world full of admirers out here who have found themselves quite short on their dose of Tug Built Boats for a long time. Not that I have a Bayern class ship sitting in my shop awaiting attention.

13. NickMyers

yessss, geef us more!

Panzer likes this.
  14. Tugboat

At the Labor Day battle I got shit about how many boats I build. More fun for me to do medieval sh** where people love my work.

15. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

Well, that ain't right. Hobbies should be fun, not getting crapped on by folks who are supposed to be in this with you.

Sounds to me like they are just jealous. You've got mad skills, please don't give up on this because of a few bad eggs.

NickMyers and Panzer like this.
  16. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

We love your boat work!

Wmemlo, NickMyers and Panzer like this.
  17. Panzer

Panzer Iron Dog Shipwerks and CiderHaus

Well, heck Tug you can move up here to michigan and i promise we will apreciate all of your wonderful work! I will even share Pure Michigan Hard cider with you!

18. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Or you can bring your talents to sunny California and over to the big gun side

19. NickMyers

Whatttttttdafuq? If building lots of boats and having tons of unfinished projects is wrong, right doesnt sound like any damn fun.

Wmemlo, Panzer, Tugboat and 2 others like this.
  20. Captain obvious

Captain obvious Active Member

Is big gun the dark side of the empire?