SMS Viribus Unitis BigGun

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by pbhawkin, Jan 27, 2016.

1. pbhawkin

pbhawkin Member

So here are some photos of my VU for Big Gun use in the AusBg here in Australia.
    Despite initial optimism of getting all 4 triple turrets to work it would have meant a very top heavy boat with very limited gas and battery supply. So a decision to make it into front turret only was decided.
    I must point out that most of the build and certainly the planning and materials were done by fellow skipper Steve Cowen and many thanks to him!
    [​IMG]
    Note the superstructure was a trial run.

[​IMG]
    Cut-out for the front cannons has changed.
    [​IMG]

views of internals stripped and with base boards in. Note internal armour in place now (galvanised tin).
    first is Bow area:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then centre section:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

then rear;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a trial weight test with all internals in place less BBs and internal armour:
    [​IMG]

I will post some more pictures as I add in more items.

2. pbhawkin

pbhawkin Member

Here are a couple of shots of the guns on their mounting board with attached rotation and depression servos.
    The guns are tethered together by nylon coated steel wire and a screw at the back of the rear turret. The wire is wrapped around the front turret twice. This allows just over 180 rotation (90 each side). If I had wrapped the wire around the rear turret twice then I could have got 360 (180 to each side but not completely around). The 90 degrees only is perfect as it gives great broadsides and I don't need to complicate things by trying 'over the shoulder' type shots.
    Note there are currently stops (right angle aluminium pieces) in place and a screw under the rear turret that stops more than 90 degree rotation as well. This was for when the guns were tethered by fuel line that would slip a lot and this method allowed re-aligning the guns by fully rotating them port or starboard.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Rayne Single

Rayne Single Admiral (Supporter)

Looking very good mate. I'm currently trying to nut outa ww1 normandie class battleship to arm forward,mid and rear quads. I'm looking forward to seeing this in action.
    Quick question who did you get to make the tandem cannon for you?

4. pbhawkin

pbhawkin Member

Hmmm, I think it may have been Richard Single??

5. Rayne Single

Cool look forward to seeing this in action.

6. Rayne Single

how is the progress going on this beast?

7. pbhawkin

pbhawkin Member

Ok an update that shows the ship as she was a few weeks ago (I must take some pictures of the finished upperworks).
    [​IMG]
    Front and rear decks secured by Velcro and industrial grade 'Mushroom loc' (type of plastic velvro).
    The rudders were trimmed a little.
    New front deck with curved high pressure polypipe barbette done (replaces the original rectangular wooden one).
    Receiver waterproofed in super strong Araldite (epoxy) glue.
    [​IMG]

Nick Park likes this.
  8. Rayne Single

This is lookin promising. Look forward to seeing her in action.

9. Rayne Single

Loving the photos by the way

10. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Let me know how the cannons work. Last time I used a tandem cannon (also in a VU), it had an unexplainable water allergy and refused to fire whenever there was water in the bilge. Worked fine on the bench, though :)

11. pbhawkin

pbhawkin Member

Some more pictures of the upper works.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Front turret covers need paint. Unfortunately I can not find a way around having to cut out the forward turret in order to allow the 'B' turret guns to traverse. The picture shows them at maximum elevation. I do not want to raise the barrels higher on 'B' turret either.
    The ships boats and associated cradles as well as centre searchlights (between the funnels but not in the picture) are removable for battling.
    I have the masts all done which will be removed prior to battle due to their weight.
    I have yet to attach the two derricks and two side armoured secondary gun range finders. These will be attached by magnets and also removed prior to battle.

NickMyers likes this.
  12. Rayne Single

very nice. pity about the forward gus. im sure if you cut down the thread on your servo mount or tried a different method you could bring your forward barrels down. how close are the gun heights to that on the plans?

13. Rayne Single

i use these brackets on my guns. as you can see these are the forward guns off my alaska which are trip 7/32 guns.
    this eliminates additional mounting brackets on top of the cannons and also ensures they depress evenly and in one plane.

these were made by richard and i have replicated on my other cannons. ie dunkerque quad 7/32's.

14. pbhawkin

pbhawkin Member

[​IMG]
    float test.
    Needs a little port side weight.
    Also a small leak between two butt joined balsa sheets where they have lifted off a rib.
    Water channelling needs some attention too.
    Turret covers need painting!

NickMyers and rcaircraftnut like this.
  15. pbhawkin

pbhawkin Member

And it has just passed it's first day and a half of combat.
    I sunk one freighter sunk and was not sunk (thanks to avoiding the big boys and being able to turn much better than they could).
    A shot of the operational internals:
    [​IMG]

Some battle scars:
    [​IMG]

and the display stand:
    [​IMG]

16. Rayne Single

it was great to see you at the battle. hopefully that new reg will give you less pain than the palmers pursuit one. i have a list of things to do before i head to canberra for the oct long weekend.

17. Renodemona

Renodemona Well-Known Member

Hey nice to do well at its first event! Looks great. Any battle photos from the event?