SOLD: Hull Molds

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell and Trade' started by Bob Pottle, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

I'm getting out of hull production except for small Class 1-2 hulls due to lack of proper facilities. That said, I'll make the occasional large mold if there's a hull I need (i.e. IJN Amagi), then sell the mold.

Most of my 1/144 hull molds have been sold but my 2 best and largest remain. Those 2 molds are for HMS Hood and HMS Vanguard (WWII). Mike Deskin has just posted a photo of one of my Hood hulls on the Washington Treaty section of RCNC.

Also for sale is my new mold for HMS Furious that can be built as the WWI battlecruiser, hybrid CV/BC, WWI CV or with modification as the WWI carrier. Furious hull photos are in the 'Photos' section.
    contact me if interested.

Bob

2. anrkii

anrkii New Member

RE: Hull Molds Is there any chance you could make a vanguard hull for me?

The mold wont do me any good, I dont have the skill to use it.

3. Sharky

Sharky Member

RE: Hull Molds Bob,
    Please let us know when you are going to do the Amagi !! I will Take One

Jeff Sharp
    Ohio

4. eljefe

eljefe Active Member

RE: Hull Molds
    I've been trying to maintain a list of all the hull manufacturers and wonder where Bob Pottle's molds ended up. Are the new owners offering hulls for sale?

5. phill

phill Active Member

I built a hulls list on the WCC site. It is way out of date now. Can we talk about some way to share this data? Send me an email: phill@eskimo.com

6. eljefe

eljefe Active Member

I just found the WCC website, which I don't think I've seen before. The list I started with came from a spreadsheet at the Port Polar Bear site. I suspect it was based on the WCC page since large sections of it are identical. I've made some updates myself consisting mainly of adding prices and a few new hulls. You should be getting a copy of it shortly, so perhaps you can help update the parts I'm not sure about (like the status of the NABS molds). Maybe there's a logical place on this site to keep an updated list of hull availability.

7. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

RE: Hull Molds In a month or two I hope to have a RCNC store, where sellers can post what they have for sale, quantity, etc...

My hope is it will be light-weight enough for people to re-sell their 'used' stuff as well as the biggies like BattlersConnection. Hopefully, that will encourage all sellers to come forward into the light & make more and more ship products available to the masses.

Would that fit the bill?

8. eljefe

eljefe Active Member

RE: Hull Molds I'm assuming this store will be more elaborate than the "For Sale" forum? If it had the ability to search for a desired item or get a list of everything in a certain category, it could be useful.

The list I have is nothing spectacular--just a collection of the hulls available from Battlers Connection, RC-Artwerks, Dreadnought Hulls, and so on. I just wanted a list of everything readily available to compare prices and options for building.

9. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

RE: Hull Molds Yeah, it'll be a proper online store. Like amazon, etc.

10. phill

phill Active Member

Though outdated, what I have is somewhat different. I listall of the IRCWCC specs for the ships. It is less of a store than a place to go looking at possible ships to build.
    I'm not sure how a store will go over. Hopefully, those in the hobby who are building a few items can get motivated to put something up. I may get back into casting French secondary guns and I'd like to finish the project of building French aircraft.
    I'd guess from the lack of up to date pictures in the BC web site that they have their hands full with their own setup and are not up to maintaining a second setup. Still having an up to date list of links has value to the hobby.
    I had hoped to be able to get updates from the hull builders. None of my requests for updated specs were ever answered. Not much of a customer service bunch though I think it has gotten better over time.
    Still, I think it may be possible to maintain a list of available hulls and that may also spark some cooperative work towards getting some molds built for uncommon ships. (Provence, Algerie)

11. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

RE: Hull Molds Phill, which aircraft are you building? While I personally have no interest in french ships, there are several Treaty guys who like them (even talked about doing a France vs the world battle) and we have at least 2 Bearns being constructed for combat.

12. pba

pba Active Member

Since the british and french got hellcats and bearcats for lend lease I have modified the with french colors Somewhere in one of the threads it shows mikey and I at a show at wright pat with the planes on deck. Also I will take some pictures this weekend at the r/c show in dayton.

13. phill

phill Active Member

I've got plenty of data on the Loire 130 so I can do them. Don't have enough on any of the others right now. The Loire's are visually unique and were on most of the french warships (except the light cruisers) so they make the most sense to have available.

14. Bob Pottle

eljefe,
    Here's where my molds are:
    HMS Erebus/Terror (Class 2 Monitors) - I have the mold but strongly recommend people buy the twin ruddered monitors Class 2 monitors instead.
    HMS Abercrombie/Roberts (Class 2 monitors) - twin ruddered WWII developments of the Erebus Class; Tugboat has the molds.
    HMS Glatton/Gorgon (Class 1 Monitors) - 1.5 unit ships, single rudder but turn on a dime; Tugboat has the molds.
    Z23 Class German DDs (Class 1) - 1.5 units; Battlers Connection has the mold.
    HMS Kent Class (Class 3 heavy cruisers) - Tugboat has the molds.
    SNS Canarias/Baleares (Class 3 heavy cruisers) - licenced Spanish version of the Kent Class; Tugboat has the molds.
    HMS Duke of Edinburgh Class (Class 3 armoured cruisers) - Tugboat has the molds.
    HMS Warrior Class (Class 3 armoured cruisers) - Tugboat has the molds.
    SNS Espana Class (Class 4 Spanish dreadnoughts) - Richard Wands of the OAF has the molds.
    HMS Courageous/Glorious (Class 4 battlecruisers) - Richard Wands has the mold.
    All of the above hulls except HMS Erebus/Terror are in production by the new mold owners (BC, Tugboat or Rich Wands).
    HMS Furious (Class 4 battlecruiser or hybrid BC/CV, Class 5 Carrier under Washington Treaty rules) - this hull can be built as any version of Furious. However, the bulges are of the same beam but shallower than on the rebuilt WWII carrier. I have the mold and might produce a second mold specifically for the WWII carrier with deeper bulges.
    HMS Hood (Class 6 battlecruiser) - I have the hull mold.
    HMS Vanguard (Class 7 battleship) - I have the mold.
    HMAS/HMS Albatross (Class 1 seaplane carrier) - 1.5 units, unique and interesting ship with bulged hull. Can also be used as a convoy model in it's final fleet repair ship role for the RN. Gorgeous hull. I have the mold.
    Soviet CL Profintern/Krasni Krim (Class 2) - 2.5 units, 2 in-line rudders. Multiple main armament casements put the BB cannons close to the waterline. I have the mold.
    All of the molds I still have (except Erebus/Terror which is too worn) are for sale. Contact me if interested.
    Bob

15. Mark41

Mark41 Active Member

RE: Hull Molds Hi Guys..
    The SCRAP site has a pretty up to date list of makers/sellers of hulls.

If anyone is looking for 1/144th hulls for SMS Nassau, and DKM Deutchland, I will be making some this Spring/ Summer... I just purchased the molds from Ralph Coles, and my learning curve is still growing.

I can be contacted through the Ontario Attack Force website for further information..

Mark
    OAF

16. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

RE: Hull Molds hey Mark, i can tell you that the mold for the Spee is amazing. I bought Ralph's last hull.

17. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

RE: Hull Molds Bob's Soviet CL Profintern/Krasni Krim was a great hit at the Bruhahaha we just had in New Orleans. Frank has it equipped with the 2 forward casemate guns angled down, everyone thought it looked and ran great.

18. shakeyboba

shakeyboba Member

There is already a place for people to Buy, sell, trade ships and supplies on line at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BSTF/ It would seem to me we should be using the resorces we have. If you have somthing to sell post it , want something , post it.

Bob

19. Bryan

Bryan Member

Just to throw my name in the old ring....

I have purchased molds from Ralph Coles for the following:
    USN Tennessee
    USN Gearing
    IJN Mogami
    IJN Akizuki
    |Turrets available for all of these also
    and decks for the Mogami (frt and rear out of FG)

I am working on a Brooklyn Hull (Expect completion Winter 2010)
    more to come this winter (2009/2010)
    :laugh:

20. Bob Pottle

Update on Mold Sales:
    Stephen Mogret of Strike Models and I have reached an agreement on all but one of my remaining hull molds. The Hood mold, boxed for shipping in 2007 for a sale that fell through, will be shipped to Strike as soon as the MO arrives (next week?). I'll box the Vanguard, Furious and Sri Ayuthia molds over the next couple of weeks. They should be on the way to California before October.
    Stephen asked me to correct the sponson height error in the Profintern/Krasni Krim hull plug I commissioned from Ralph Coles, then sell the plug to him. I considered the mold a write-off due to the sponson error (they start 1/4" too low on the hull sides) and the need to cut off, then remake the 4 sponsons. It wasn't economical for a CL hull. With the corrected hull plug Stephen can market a really nice twin ruddered CL hull with many different gun positions available (6 fore and aft main armament casemate guns, and 8 deck guns).
    That will leave me with the HMAS/HMS Albatross seaplane carrier/fleet repair ship mold, another commission from Ralph Coles and one of the best hulls he's made. It can be used for a Class 1 combatant or convoy ship - bulged and really neat looking (see photos of the 1/1250 model at the Neptun/Navis website . The Albatross hull is short enough to ship by Canada Post airmail so I'll continue to produce those.
    I need to greatly reduce the size of my ship collection so will be posting several completed Class 1-3 models for sale after the local battling season ends. I still have all of the hulls previously listed for sale and have found out that unlike UPS Fedex will give me shipping insurance to US buyers.
    Bob Pottle