SOLD: Hulls for Sale from Swampworks

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell and Trade' started by Bob, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

I'm just posting the below, I am not a go between for Steve. Please contact him as noted below for hull info.
    Message from Swampy

Hey guys,

Re Swampys Hulls:

Recently I've been approached by several battlers within the
    MWCI and other orgs who were inquiring about whether or not I could
    have some hulls made up for them like I did last year. Right now I
    have just enough spare time to do something like this......

If anyone out there wants one of the fiberglass hulls that
    Swampworks used to market, please read the following and then contact
    me by E-mail at: [removed]

2. MotoPhoto

MotoPhoto Member

RE: Hulls for Sale from Swampworks GREAT!

Anyone have a recommendation from that list for an Axis hull that is not available from BC or others? I wouldn't be building anytime soon but thought I might pick up a hard to find hull for a future build. I'm currently building my first ship so the second boat should also be fairly easy to build (though that's not the highest priority) and something I could use as a loaner for friends interested in the hobby. TIA!

3. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

RE: Hulls for Sale from Swampworks If you are looking for a complement to the VDT get a Lutzow. There are a great cruiser and you'll want one at NATS for the cruiser only battle and campain.
    If your looking for another Axis BB or BC Moltke is heavier then VDT, but the same speed. Derflinger is faster at 24 sec. Both are good ships.
    The Bismark and Nagato hulls, along with the NC hull can be purchased from Battler's and Battler's hulls are better in scale. Swampy's Nagato does not have the casements, the NC does not have the bulge, the Bismark is too fat.
    Baden is a good ship, but is too slow at 28 sec for my taste.

4. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

RE: Hulls for Sale from Swampworks just about every german ship on that list is good, alougth, i dont think the lutzow hull is bulged, which would make the build more difficult (my ralph coles one is bulged).

5. Ragresen

Ragresen Member

RE: Hulls for Sale from Swampworks I did not know there was a bulged and unbulged versions of the Lutzow.

6. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

RE: Hulls for Sale from Swampworks I would agree with Bob, a Lutzow would be your best bet. Your going to want a cruiser sooner or later, and BC does not make them, and Ralph sold his mold.

7. MotoPhoto

MotoPhoto Member

RE: Hulls for Sale from Swampworks WOW! Did a web search on the Lutzow and she's beautiful.

I assume there shouldn't be any problem with the hull sitting on a shelf for a year while I concentrate on the VDT and learning to battle her, right?

8. BoomerBoy17

RE: Hulls for Sale from Swampworks
    yea, there is an unbulged version (swampy) and bulged version (ralph coles), but whats interesting to me, is that they were originally fitted with those bulges, so why would they not be in swampy's hull.
    As long as you keep it relatively flat and secure, it shouldnt move or change at all.

9. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

RE: Hulls for Sale from Swampworks Swampy took some short cuts with some of his earlier hulls to make them easier to pull out of a mold (Nagato) and sometimes to make them easier to sheet (Like the NC). Most ships someone else made the plug for him. Until he had an expert doing the plugs, some where not the exact scale (Bismark). The bulges on the Lutzows are not very big, just leave them off, it's close enough to scale that it does not matter. It's not like the bulges give you a competitive advantage. Could be that one of that class did not have them and that's the prints used to make the plug. I don't know enought about the ship to know if that's true.
    You can put a fiberglass hull on the shelf for a long time.

10. shakeyboba

shakeyboba Member

RE: Hulls for Sale from Swampworks I dont know if anyone else would be interested in this Boat , But I'm ordering a Ersatz Yorck Battle cruiser from Australia. 8 Battleship Cannons, 4 props, 27.5 knts in a WWI BC. These were Actual ships , Larger than the Mackenson class.

Bob

11. BoomerBoy17

RE: Hulls for Sale from Swampworks I believe that they were hypotheticals, werent they?

12. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

RE: Hulls for Sale from Swampworks Yes and no. No because they were laid down and at an advanced stage of construction. Yes because they were never completed.

13. eljefe

eljefe Active Member

Even though slow, I'm considering ordering a Baden hull from Swampy. Based on what I've seen and discussed with others, it seems to be one of the best all-around performers within the size limits I'm looking for (under 4.5 feet). My concern is ease of construction. Is Baden a difficult build?

14. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

RE: Hulls for Sale from Swampworks Baden is not a hard build. There is room inside of it to get all the parts in. It gets enough weight to carry SLA batteries. Like all ships there are a lot of mistakes that you can make, just ask questions and it will go fine.
    On the water they can be pretty nasty.

15. Gardengnome

Gardengnome Member

Since my motto is "The only stupid question is an unasked question." I will ask this..
    I am assuming I will have to get some plans, in addition to one of Steve's hull, since I will need them for Superstructure and the like. Or, do they come with?

16. eljefe

eljefe Active Member

RE: Hulls for Sale from Swampworks I think your speculation is correct--I believe you have to get the plans separately.

17. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

What do you mean Bismarck was too fat? Hulls generally are wider when their just empty hulls but once the subdeck is installed you should be able to decrease the beam to the correct width. Swampy's bismarck is not exactly narrow at the ends and it is a little deeper than it should be and that BOW was certaintly not accurate but for combat it has never chipped and it never hurt the models hydrodynamics. The Armor belt placement is not accurate but the model has proved it self to be very good. Mine seen a lot of action and has stood the test of time and sinks.. well it actually sank twice. Once in a mock battle with a skinny cruiser (where was the pump ?) and the other a nasty ram hole from a teammate( a swampy lutzow. ) The model is under refit for this year and who knows if I can get it to Rhode Island for this years nats that would be great as I got into this hobby with this kit to compete at IRCWCC NATS. Overall since 1993 the old guy is doing fine and so am I :Dif anybody asks.:laugh:

18. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

That would be great to see that ship at Nats in Rhode Island! I love the pictures of it and I have a long way to getting mine to look like that.

19. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

RE: Hulls for Sale from Swampworks If I can figure out a way to transport it there than it will be there. I always wanted to use it for a NATS. It's not the most sophisticated but it is defiinitly high on the KISS principal.

20. BoomerBoy17

RE: Hulls for Sale from Swampworks I love the Tirpitz, that is a definite to-do later on. I hope to see it there too Curt, if you stay for thursday and friday, it would be great to meet you. Maybe my ship will be ready, it would be an honor to fight alongside the Bis.