solenoids

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by vicious p, May 25, 2010.

1. vicious p

vicious p Well-Known Member

Not looking to drop $50 bucks on kips each, so im looking at other options.. Anyone have much luck with any of the noids from clippard? Im using some 12volt. noids now from them in my Bismarck that work fine but in my big gun Graf Spee to small gun conversion im looking for another option that runs well on 6volts.
    Any suggestions on a good setup? This is a backup ship or a loaner, so im looking to keep it cheap and simple. thanks:D

2. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

RE: soleniods The only 6 volt Clippards I have seen are the little Mouse series valves. Unfortunatly, they are not rated over 100 pounds of pressure and tend to leak at higher pressures.

On the other hand, the 12v Clippard MME series works very well as long as the voltage is above 6 volts. 7.2v works well enough to keep them firing even while the pump is running and the ship is maneuvering. Of course, 12v is best for the MMEs.

I haven't seen anything else out there yet from he other manufacturers.

3. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

RE: soleniods I plan on testing the 12V clippard solenoids in my Tirpitz at some point. Right now I use the smaller 100PSI solenoids to trigger PAV valves which is slightly less expensive than a KIP. I want to use the 1/8 NPT feed port on the soloenoid along with 1/4 inch hose so I shouldn't need any accumulator tanks. I most likely will run a 12v battery just for the solenoids to keep from having to run 12v main power in the ship. That would mean a lot of extra battery at 12v / 36ah.

4. vicious p

RE: soleniods The MME series is what my Bismarck is running on. They cycle great on 12 volts not so good on 6 under pressure. I actually run mine off of 2 7.4v nimh packs in series so i run them at 14.4volts which has worked great so far. I originally planned to run everything off of the 6volt batteries i had but only after i had the MME's hooked up in the bought did i realize i needed more juice. Might eventually convert the whole boat to 12volt power.

I just wanted to simplify the Lutzow and run off of 6volts but i may just use the same MME's so im interchangable.

5. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

RE: soleniods You can run the boat on 6v, and just get some Nimh AA batteries and make up a 8 cell pack to run the solenoids, not much weight that way. They can hold up to 2.6 amps. so they will last you all day.

6. rstalnaker

rstalnaker Member

RE: soleniods
    Mikey,
    Look at the system in the NC & Tirpitz.......I use the ES Solenoids in a pilot air system and never have problems with the cannons firing...LOL. This same system is in Johnny Adams Tirp that I sold him. The nice part about my system is you never have to "unplumb" the system to replace the solevoid.

Rob

7. vicious p

RE: soleniods Whats a place online to order AA cells so i can make a pack or a place that sells custom packs? Looking around now..

8. wrenow

wrenow RIP

RE: soleniods
    I have been using the 6v mouse valves for sime time. If you are strapped for space, though, the Compact ES valves on a small manifold are pretty dandy.
    Cheers,