South american dreadnoughts

Discussion in 'Ship Plans' started by glaizilla, Aug 29, 2011.

1. glaizilla

glaizilla Active Member

looking for plans for the cage masted south american dreadnought, belive name to be Moreno or Riverdia? could be wrong, particulers are around 600 ft, 12x12" guns, two amidships are wing/echalon turrets, the other ship i am interrested was HMS Canada, belive to be named Almirate Latorre, however looking for the bulged/modernized version, which I belive the United States almost purchased after Pearl harbor... Not looking for freebies, will pay ofcoarse, having trouble locating them.

2. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Some one has built a Rivadavia/Moreno but I don't know where they got the plans. I think Taubman's might have Almiralte Latorre, but I can't speak to the quality or vintage.

3. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

Actually I believe 2 people have built the Rivadavia. I know kplumer has and I believe a guy named Paul Coffey has. I looked at it myself but decided I wanted to pursue a more mainstream ship. So I snagged a Queen Elizabeth hull. It looks promising to me and very unique. I believe kplumer used a Baden hull that he modified.
    Mike Butts
    MN2 USN

4. Anachronus

I have always liked the look of the Minas Gerias. Are you doing an "as built" Queen Elizabeth?

5. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

Not to hijack the thread but, no. I am building the crazy double bulged last version of the QE with no casemates. It's a Ralph Coles hull. However, It is behind a couple smaller ships in the build priority list for me.
    Mike Butts
    MN2 USN

6. Renodemona

Renodemona Well-Known Member

Paul used a Baden hull and modified it slightly in the casemate area. Not sure where he got the plans, but I recall seeing a set on Taubmens.

7. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

Paul got plans from someplace in Argentina, they were not that great. He took a Moltke hull and added modeling clay to it to change the shape of the hull to look like Rivadavia. Then he pulled a fiberglass hull off of it. After he had this hull he removed the clay and built a Moltke.

8. Anachronus

That is clever. Two hulls for the price of one.