spectrum AR6000

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by Powder Monkey, May 2, 2008.

1. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

Hi All spectrum AR6000 parkflyer receiver how the heck do you water proof it so dang small and in a plastic box already I thought about plugging in a bunch of short extensions and filling the opening with liquid electrical tape not sure though . To expensive to play around with so what do you all do?[:p]
    thanks

2. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

plug short extensions into it. cut off the top half of the case, it will just pry off sometimes, if not use an xacto blade.
    fill it with epoxy and put the top back on.
    cover all the extensions and connectors with epoxy.
    let cure.

its actually really easy and it works well.

or plug in extensions
    build a small box around the receiver, fill that box with epoxy.
    when it cures you'll have a solid chunk of epoxy with the receiver embedded in it and just the connectors sticking out.

3. Powder Monkey

[:0] That sounds scary
    I can’t help but think man if I screw this up its pretty permanent.

4. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

I just use 20 min epoxy, it more watery, and can be poured right into the receiver. I use superglue, and seal up the 2 antenna holes. Then I just tilt it to the side, so that the pins are at the top, and slowly pour a little at a time right on to the pins. It drains into the receiver, move it around, and you can see the epoxy flowing down. Keep doing that till you have it full, sit it at a slight angle so that the epoxy is not on the pins and let it cure. You may have to do this a second time for small air pockets along the row of pins. The next day just run you exacto knife up and down the side of the pins, the epoxy falls right off. Much easier than taking it apart, I have done 4 this way now with no problems.

5. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

All the more reason not to screw it up then. [;)]

Its actually pretty had to screw up. Make sure all the extensions are plugged in and you get epoxy over everything and thats about it. I'm sure it voids any warranty so make sure it works before you go doing this.

Don't be scared of it, its not like you're spending a large amount of time and money to build something you are going to take out on a lake and let other people shoot so many holes in that it sinks or anything.[;)]

6. Powder Monkey

thanks guys [:D]

Snipe it has to float first doesn’t it? [;)] and besides I will be the one to find the iceberg before any shots even get off [:p]

7. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

What about using resin to make sure it is waterproof?

8. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

SCOTCHCOTE!!! my friend.

It is quick, easy, stinky, and totally reversable if you have to operate. You can borrow mine when you come over.

9. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I haven't seen Scotchcote anywhere at all in Canada. It is one of those mythical products we hear of but never see. [:D]

10. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

It's like Big Foot! he's out there but only a few have seen him. Most places in the US don't carry it either. I think it can be found off the internet under 3m products. It's a shame cause it works real good... but very dangerous/unhealthy. Like shooting bb's is safe! [B)]

11. wrenow

wrenow RIP

It is carried by Lowes here in the states, but not by Home Depot. If you cannot find Scotchkote, your local electronics supply might have a nice electronic safe conformal coating you can use. According to Polk Hobbies, spraying the board with a coat o9r two of clear Krylon works a treat (never tried it myself, as I am a Scotchcote devotee). Yes, I have Scotchkoted 2 of my Spectrums and my Futaba FAAST (even more expensive at USD$99 ea) RX's, anong with literally dozens of 72mHz and 27mHz rxs, ESCs and other electronics.

Liquid Electrical tape is contraindicated, by the way. We have found that, over time, it tends to delaminate, often invisibly, allowing moisture and corrosion in. Especially when exposed to thinbgs like Corrosion X.

Can you buy from Amazon.com? Visit this site

Cheers,

12. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

I have heard bad things about the liquid electrical tape too. I would stay away from that. I bought 4 jars of scotchcote so you can buy one off me if you want.

13. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Another option I have seen others use (and used myself a time or two) is to shove the RX into a balloon with servo extentions sticking out of it (pre-labeled of course) then put on a ziptie, put in a good glob of silicone, ziptie the other end then work the glob of silicone around a bit to make sure there are no openings to let water in.

14. Powder Monkey

I'm not sure I would trust that one I have a few friends paying child support on that theory if you know what I mean the RX isn’t as expensive but could ruin your day just the same [V]

15. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Dave and Snipe have the best idea. Epoxy it and never worry. I had no end of freaking receiver glitches from so-so methods, and none since Brian K talked me into taking the plunge. It really is hard to mess up, just follow the procedure Dave laid out above and fret no more :)

16. Powder Monkey

17. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

[:)] I have used the balloon then tool dip receivor method twist tie at neck thingy and it does work. PE sank this weekend and sat under for a few minutes and was back in action again. My Yamato has sunk 6 times and I had no water penetrate the receivor. If done right it works well. [:)]