Spektrum DX6i Button Conversion Kit - No soldering needed

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by jadfer, Jul 8, 2012.

1. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

I have been working on this for a while and found the right radio to do it with. I created a button conversion kit for the Spektrum DX6i that allows for a fast 'bolt-on' solution without permanently damaging or altering the radio. I wanted to be able to return my radio to 'factory condition' and with the DX6 I wasnt able to do that.
    Certainly I could have just unsoldered the wires from the potentiometers and put them back later but the work would be obvious and there is a risk of damaging the potentiometer in the process. I found a way to leave the potentiometer intact and usable in the future.
    To install the kit all you need to do is open the radio, take out the 4 gimbal screws from the front, unplug the gimbal from the main board and set it aside, make and screw in a switch mounting plate, plug in the board, plug the switches into the board, close up the radio.
    Its super easy and the buttons I found are very fast action, very light touch and allow you to go almost as fast as you want. Any buttons can be used when they are soldered with the right connector.
    I plan to offer this as a 'Battle Rabbit' product in the future.
    Thanks,
    Johnny
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

That's pretty slick! I wish someone did it for the HK radios, although soldering wasn't hard. A drop-in kit is nicer :)

3. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

Sweet! I wonder if that will work for my DX8?

4. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Send me a picture of the internals, specifically where the wires for the potentiometer wires attach to the circuit board of the radio itself and we will find out. I suspect that many of the newer DSMX radios have the same setup - DX5e DX6i DX7s DX8. I hope to take a look at a DX5 this summer at Nats and maybe a 7S / 8 as well.

If you have time snap a picture and send it over to me by PM

5. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

This looks promising. I been wanting to switch out my gimbals for buttons for a long time now.

6. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

I will make a video after I get back from Nats.

7. Habeeb

Habeeb New Member

I would really like to do this to my radio. Are you selling them? Or do you have a parts list that I could use to make it myself?

8. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

send me a private message and I will see what I can do for you

9. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

UPDATE - I did get access to a DX5E and found that it will work with this module as well. Its more work to get to the connector but it will work.

J

10. cgbillb

cgbillb New Member

Hello

Are you selling these conversion kits by any chance?

I would like one if you are

Very slick

Bill

11. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Sorry Bill, I havent checked the forum in a while. Send me a private message and we will get you taken care of. Thanks